Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carter WA-1 issues.
Just popping in
Just popping in

jim lee
See User information
Hello everyone, I have a Carter WA-1 carb and I'm looking for help with it. In my circles, old flathead Dodge trucks, no one's ever seen one before. Hence visiting the Packard people. It seems that Packards used these. So, hopefully, there's some knowledge about them here?

I have one that has a bog right after the throttle gets past idle. If you slowly move the throttle up off idle, at some point the engine misses. If you are really careful, you can hold it there and the engine just keeps missing. If, while doing this, you jiggle the accelerator pump, it makes everything worse. This tells me that the issue is the engine flooding not leaning out.

Anyway, has anyone ran into anything like this? Other than this issue, the carb seems like it works pretty well.

Many thanks in advance!

-jim lee

Posted on: 2018/5/9 0:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter WA-1 issues.
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
You may want to consider/check the follow: Check vacuum advance, distributor plate and distributor bushings for wear.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2018/5/9 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Carter WA-1 saw very wide usage, in addition to Packard it was used by Fraser, Graham, Hudson, Kaiser, Nash, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Studebaker and Willys. If you can get or borrow a 12th Edition (1935-49) of Motor's Manual you'll find multi-page instructions for rebuilding it. I'm not saying that's the cause of your problem but it's a good place to start.

Posted on: 2018/5/9 10:19
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jim lee
See User information
The rebuilding instructions that came with the kit were pretty complete. And, this machine has no vacuum advance. The main issue is that, at least in my circles, there is no one with any practical experience with them. No one that can say, "Oh yeah, when they act like that you need to change X".

What Willys were they used on? Something common like the WWII jeep? I could only wish. Then at least there would be a pool of experience I could draw from.

-jim lee

Posted on: 2018/5/9 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jim

If you can find a copy of a Chilton's Motor Age Flat Rate and Service Manual, it has a good section on Carter carburetors. I have a 1953 edition, though any from those late 1940's - early 1950's should have the same section. Chilton's are pretty common. PM me if you can't find one, I'll scan the pages that apply.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/5/10 7:19
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What Willys were they used on?

Postwar passenger cars, the 1946-49 Four and the 1948-49 Six.

Posted on: 2018/5/10 7:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved