Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 Pulls Hard When Braking
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

shore72
See User information
I'm not sure that this is a uniquely Packard problem, but I've never had it happen before & this group has proven its metal before:

The brakes on my 2362 had been working well until about a month ago when it started pulling hard to the left. I noticed on loose gravel that the left front wheel was locking up. Most online searches bring answers geared to disc setups but generally folks say it's either a bad wheel cylinder (sticking) or hose (collapsing). Made sense to me, so I called up Max Merritt and ordered a pair of both. I decided to start with the left: no change. Today I did the right; again, no change, better or worse. Well, it wasn't all in vain: the hoses were starting to crack & the cylinders had plenty of age as well. So, what next?

The previous owner installed a new master cylinder; steel lines were not changed. Nothing looked out of order when I pulled the drums. The shoes aren't new but not down to the rivets, either. When jacked up both sides were adjusted to spin free with no brakes applied; this afternoon I had my wife apply the brakes while the right front was in the air and they sure seemed to be doing their job.

Steer me straight, fellas!

Posted on: 2019/5/4 21:54
 Top  Print 

Re: '49 Pulls Hard When Braking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It could be collapsing hoses or even a leaky cylinder getting fluid on the shoes and maybe both. Either way it should be a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.

Collapsed hoses caused my 1985 Plymouth Voyager's nearly new (mileage-wise) brakes to virtually burn up (blued front rotors and rear drums) so brings to the forefront the need to flush brakes annually. It makes no difference how often the vehicle is driven either but replacing all rubber components (and the brake light switch), thoroughly flushing, then using synthetic fluid will greatly prolong life and minimize rubber deteriorization.

Posted on: 2019/5/4 23:31
 Top  Print 

Re: '49 Pulls Hard When Braking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
With the braking system thoroughly checked and no problem found, I would next check the kingpins. The 1937 120 I owned developed a pretty severe pull when braking that was usually to the left, just sometimes to the right. It turned out to be worn kingpins.

Posted on: 2019/5/5 21:31
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved