Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 177

29tons, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 wheel refinishing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am looking for suggestions on refinishing my Super 8 wheels.

I have looked into powder coating but at $70 per wheel I think I can spend my $420 more wisely on other parts of the car.

I am thinking of sanding the complete wheel, then etching/priming, sanding primer coat and then two black wheel finish coats.

New tires just arrived today, so I will put them on in about 1 week after the wheels are completed and cured.

Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 2019/8/9 20:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 wheel refinishing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Gar,

On your wheels... I agree with you that powder coating is an expensive option. I DO think however, that a lot would be gained by getting your rims sandblasted. Carefully applied rattle can paint can look pretty darn good when it is properly sprayed, but there is no metal surface on this planet that takes paint better than fresh sandblasted steel. I'd get them sandblasted, get at least one (preferably two) coats of a good primer on them, with a light sand in between coats and then go for your enamel colour. By the time you install trim rings and hubcaps, no-one will know they didn't come straight from the powder- coater!! LOL Chris

Posted on: 2019/8/9 21:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved