Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dustributor removal & installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I may want to install a spare distributor in my 48 in place of the original one-- 1948 Deluxe Sedan - Delco Remy any instructions or advise ?

Posted on: 2020/7/25 20:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Dustributor removal & installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why do you want to replace the distributor?

I would clean and oil, and adjust the points on the spare before installing. Note the rotor and distributor positions before removing the and install the spare in the same positions. It is possible to get these distributors 180 deg. off. Also, there should be a seal at the base of the distributor. Make sure the spare goes in with one. If you are replacing an Auto Lite with a Delco, then the cap will need to be changed. A one for one swap of the wires into the spare's cap will help insure the correct order. Connect the high tension and primary leads and the vacuum line and you should be all set to start the engine and set the timing.

What did I miss?

Oh yes, make sure the grease cup is reloaded with fresh grease.

Posted on: 2020/7/26 11:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks JW - The original distributor is in the car Delco 1110811 - The only reason I thought about changing it - The incoming flex wire is bare and wrapped with tape, and the point adjustment screw is missing. I have another distributor ( same one ) which I am rebuilding. Just wondering which is better - fix the original one or replace ? Your thoughts ?

Posted on: 2020/7/26 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Given they are the same distributor, I would fix up the best one and install it in the car and then do what is needed on the other and keep it as a spare. Others may have more to offer on this. You are lucky to have a spare.

Posted on: 2020/7/27 10:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved