Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

leaf spring specs for 1950 Packard 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

rayallegerzza
See User information
My 1950 Packard 8 is leaning to the left. the car was just in to a good body shop for paint. The owner says it is leaning becasue the left rear leaf spring is damaged. Does anyone know if anyone makes replacement leaf springs...or 2. I have found shops that can custom leaf springs but I am at a loss as to where to find the original specifications. Any help would be wonderful!

Posted on: 2020/10/17 8:28
 Top  Print 

Re: leaf spring specs for 1950 Packard 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can buy replacement rear leaf springs from Kanter Auto Parts, and also from Eaton-Detroit who was probably the company that supplied the originals. Best to buy and install in pairs.

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com

Posted on: 2020/10/17 8:54
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

rayallegerzza
See User information
thanks very much. I will call Eaton on Monday!

Posted on: 2020/10/18 3:38
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
My 1949 had a lean to the left. Before you spend money on springs, try this:
Put a jack under the center of the front crossmember until the front wheels are off the ground. If it is level that eliminates the rear springs. If in doubt remove the rear springs and sit them on the ground. You will soon see if the curvature or height is different.
Lift the rear wheels with a jack under the diff center.
If it leans the problem is the front, as was my car.
I fixed mine by swapping the front springs left to right, it sits level now. Comparing the front springs out of the car, there was about half an inch height difference. Depending on which side of the road you drive on, the short spring goes on the drivers side. Hope this is useful.
If you plan on removing front springs, I can give you some tips.
Gary

Posted on: 2020/10/20 8:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Gary49eight wrote:
My 1949 had a lean to the left. Before you spend money on springs, try this:
Put a jack under the center of the front crossmember until the front wheels are off the ground. If it is level that eliminates the rear springs. If in doubt remove the rear springs and sit them on the ground. You will soon see if the curvature or height is different.
Lift the rear wheels with a jack under the diff center.
If it leans the problem is the front, as was my car.
I fixed mine by swapping the front springs left to right, it sits level now. Comparing the front springs out of the car, there was about half an inch height difference. Depending on which side of the road you drive on, the short spring goes on the drivers side. Hope this is useful.
If you plan on removing front springs, I can give you some tips.
Gary

That is good advice. I have a left (driver's) lean that I haven't looked unto much yet and will need to give this a try.

So you're saying the front driver's spring from the factory was 1/2" shorter? And you swapped that to the passenger side? I'm thinking I may end up needing to do the same thing.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/10/20 17:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Front left and right springs are identical.

Spacers were offered if individual adjustment was desired.

Posted on: 2020/10/20 19:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the clarification!

Posted on: 2020/10/20 21:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
I have seen that on a lot of American cars, front coil springs slightly different heights. It compensates for the road camber. When the car arrives in Australia and gets converted to RHD, swapping springs is usually one thing forgotten. Some owners find they get an alignment and the car still pulls left or scrubs tyres. My Packard was a RHD export car, shipped in crates and someone had to put the pieces together. Often the people doing this assume front springs must be the same. Your car might have had rubber spacers on top of the (front) springs, these can fail (or just disappear) over time.
If you find the rear of the car causes the lean, check the shackle bushing rubbers. There might be nothing wrong with the springs, but flogged-out bushings can affect ride height.
Gary

Posted on: 2020/10/21 7:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved