Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 144

Packard Don, Ross, JD in KC, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Standard 8 or Super 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Hello All,
I have a 1930 7-40 Roadster with a straight 8. How do I tell the difference between the motor being a Super 8 or Standard 8? Is there a difference in 1930 or are they all one type?

Sorry in advance as I'm sure this has probably been discussed here, but I've searched and cannot find a thread on it.

Thank you.
Rich Dorchak

Posted on: 2021/12/13 14:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Standard 8 or Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless the motor has been replaced, a 740 by definition would be the larger, Super 8 engine. If in doubt, the motor number will identify. And lacking that though you'd need something to compare with, the Super has a larger cylinder bore and thus a longer and wider cylinder block.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Very simple. The Standard 8 motor will not even fit into the 740 chassis.

The question becomes - What car is it?

The Standard is on a 133 inch wheelbase, the Custom 8 is 140 inches.

The Standard has louvres on the hood sides (or 3 vent doors optional) the Custom 8 has four vent doors on the hood.

Those parts will not interchange between models. Headlights can be swapped but not the hood.

Quite a few Standards got headlights taken from the Custom 8 parts cars. And I have seen such cases being palmed off as a Custom 8. Performance wise those big lights are a significant source of drag.

Another trend that didn't exist when I was young is this nonsense of trying to make the eight cylinder cars look like the V-12 by hanging V-12 cosmetics on them. If you go to the ghetto you will see late model Chevy compact cars with SS emblems stuck on them. That isn't a league I want to be in.

Lately I see once restored cars being turned into junkrods by putting junk V-8 crate motors in them. However, they usually leave the trim stock which is more than I can say about the restored cars of late.

The whole scene is like something out of Hunter Thompson's worst nightmares.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 20:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Great info….thank you.
Love this forum and all the great info and knowledge here….

Posted on: 2021/12/13 20:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

series014
See User information
When I was looking for a Super 8 head, I found they were approximately 35 inches long and the standard 8 was approximately 30 inches long. The longer Super 8 was through 1936 (series 14).

Posted on: 2021/12/14 11:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved