Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

convertible top cylinders
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Does anybody rebuild the vacuum cylinders like I have in my 1940 160? I really don't want to convert to electric - would like to keep the original system. Can the original cylinders be "awakened" with a shot of oil or other lubricant/gasket expander, like vacuum windshield wiper motors?

Posted on: 2022/1/6 19:28
 Top  Print   

Re: convertible top cylinders
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember seeing any ads for any rebuild services on the vacuum cylinders but there was a fellow on the PAC forum in the same situation. He had taken his apart and found the leathers on the piston seal worn and was looking to find new pieces. Possibly if he is still watching the forum a private message might reach him and have an a answer if he found any or had to make them. If no answer, they look fairly simple and perhaps it is something that you could make.https://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5699&p=25630&hilit=convertible+top+cylinder#p25628

I believe new hydraulic top cylinders are available from Hydro-E-Lectric but no idea if they could do anything with the vacuum cylinders. Of all the Packard vendors I can think of Tucson Packards is the most likely to take on something like that. I know they rebuild a lot of smaller items.

I made a new piston seal for a vacuum antenna using modern materials and a slightly different design than the original. While the top cylinder is much bigger, if nothing else is available perhaps the same design could be done but on a larger scale.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 19:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: convertible top cylinders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Brad; I rebuilt the cylinders on my 42, they are not that hard to do. My shafts were rusted badly and it was necessary to have new ones machined, my machinist said they were simple to made. I sanded the in side of the chambers with 220 and worked my way to 600, then cleaned up the round plates and replaced the leather. I used neatsfoot oil on the leather. Also replaced the rubber on the lines-don't use clamps, just get the correct size tubbing. You will need to take the shaft and can top to a shop that can supply new seals. When I tested the system with no top material on the frame it went so fast it scared me. Dell

Posted on: 2022/1/6 20:50

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved