Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Pump Selector Valve Operation
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I'm wondering how this valve operates. What I don't understand is how the valve operates with only one oil inlet. Does the rear pump simply OVERWHELM the inner spring and the first exhaust port thus moving the valve to engage the outer spring? At this position fluid is routed to the front pump relief valve which idles the front pump. Pressure greater than 93 PSIG exits the front pump exhaust port achieving regulation at 93. What is the purpose of the first annular groove?

Attach file:

png  Ultramatic Pump Selector Valve.png (318.76 KB)
85709_6291091020a6b.png 1554X588 px

Posted on: 2022/5/27 11:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Pump Selector Valve Operation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a good description on how the valve works starting on page 16 in the original Ultramatic training manual.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/UltramaticTrainingManual.pdf

Posted on: 2022/5/27 11:51
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic Pump Selector Valve Operation
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I've read that multiple times. I read it again. I believe the valve is shown in its initial position which allows oil to the front pump relief valve. I would have thought that the first exhaust port and the inner spring would have regulated the pressure to the converter inlet valve. I guess the rear pump pressure is so much greater than this regulated front pump pressure such as to overwhelm the first exhaust port and continue to move the valve inward. It makes sense that the flow rate of a liquid through an aperture would have a point of non-linearity verses pressure. I believe the front pump is regulated at 85 and the rear at 93, pretty close. Also, the purpose of the first annular groove is not explained.

Posted on: 2022/5/27 13:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved