Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Stewart Ballard, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

More On Vapor Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
My '37 120 is prone to mild vapor lock and fuel boiling in the glass filter bowl near the carburetor.

It lacks the fuel pump heat shield, which probably contributes to the problem.

The temperature gauge indicates 175 to 185 F under most operating conditions.

The car does not boil the coolant.

After running the car for a few dozen miles in 90F + temperature, I stopped and left the engine running and used a point& shoot temperature sensor to check on things.

The head temperature showed to be 180 to 185 front to back. The radiator upper tank showed 175 to 180 and the water inlet pipe showed 155 to 160 F.

However, the crankcase area, where the fuel pump is mounted, showed 200 to 205 F.

I think the pump is picking up too much heat from the crankcase to work effectively with the fuel sold today.

Intsalling the heat shield would probably help, especially at low speeds in hot weather, but I doubt if it would entirely eliminate the tendency.

200 F is well within the normal range for crankcase temperatures.

Adding extra gaskets to the fuel pump mounting would probably help, but that would reduce the pump stroke, which would not help. The fuel line from pump to carburetor showed to be around 150 F.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 12:52
 Top  Print   

Re: More On Vapor Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Does that era of Packard use the insulator sleeves and washers for the pump’s attaching bolts? If not, maybe the holes can be opened up and some inserted.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
They do use the bushings and I believe mine has them, but the nuts and washers are steel on my car. Putting some hard fiber or Delrin washers under the nuts might help further reduce heat transfer.

Some fuel pumps had a rubber insert around the lever pivot to keep crankcase oil out of the pump body. I don't know if mine has one or not, or if it is still in place.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 13:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The later cars such as my 1951 had flat fiber washers under the flat washers and the bolt heads had holes and were wired to keep them in place.

Posted on: 2023/6/19 16:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved