Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

37Blanche, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Front End Rebuild Experience
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I was looking at the Rubber today on the pins through the support arm and on one side the rubber is smashed to bits. It looks like they are close to or are rubbing together. I think it may have happened on the gravel road next to my house. It's pretty washboard an I know it wasn't like that a few days ago.

So I was wondering...

Has anyone used Kanters 56 front end kit?

Were you satisfied with what you got?

Were the parts true to size?

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:40
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Re: Front End Rebuild Experience
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
shop around before buy'n from kanter. there are other packard suppliers, that i think are better to deal with. some are just a little cheaper too.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 20:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want to rebuild the entire front suspension, then as a kit complete with just about everything you need, Kanter is about the only choice. I have used one and all was proper and went in without difficulty.

There are lots of pieces and some you may not really need unless the car has many miles or had a rough life. If you want to do a bit at a time, then as previously mentioned there are options. Are you talking about the upper support arm bushings item 15.5035 as having the missing rubber? If so and that's all you need, chances are it can be obtained locally.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.79 KB)
209_4a04e4cf4707d.jpg 353X367 px

Posted on: 2009/5/8 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I just finished replacing the upper rubber bushings. Although Packard only listed the upper arm as an assembly, the bushings can be had. They are TRW 12309 and are used in 71-75 Lincoln town cars. Napa crossed them over to Moog and wanted $6.xx a piece. Advance Auto wanted $16.xx a piece. I had the mechanic at the garage use a hydraulic press to press out the old ones and press in the new. Just be careful not to apply any pressure across the ears. Apply pressure only to the bushing you are pressing out.
My friend Chris says he has never seen a bad lower bushing. The ones he removed all looked like fresh rubber inside.
I couldn't get the front end low enough to install the TL holding tool so just put jackstands as far out on the lower A-frame as they would go. If you need new eccentrics and or kingpins, I would buy Kanter's kit.

edit; note the position of the dimple on the upper control arm shaft and install it the same way.

Posted on: 2009/5/8 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
see my blog for lost of pics to help you.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 12:18
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I belive it's the one on the other end. 15.502? Is this availible by itself?

Obviously both sides new replacing but that one in particular is metal to metal.

HH56 why manual did that pic come from?
I can't find it in mine.

And last for now since I have T/L I'll need a special tool or two. Does anyone find them these days or are they all scooped up by now?

Posted on: 2009/5/9 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Picture is plate 31G of the 55-6 parts book. The bushing is same on each end. 15.502 is the support arm. The Ford part (D3AZ-3068A) came in pairs when I bought a few yrs ago but TRW's or equivalent maybe individual from parts store. Since you have to remove the upper arm to replace one, might as well do 2.

Look at Cli55er's and Randy Berger's blogs for how things come apart--particularly Randy's pictures of just a few days ago. His show the lower arm intact, weight on it to keep torsion links connected and not using any tools. Fender is off but you can work around yours & extra weight helps keep things intact.

Myself, being paranoid and anal, would have wrapped a chain around lower arm and frame just to keep anything from separating--but that comes from seeing a spring fly several years ago. Others don't worry about it and so far, haven't heard anyone wish they'd done otherwise.

Posted on: 2009/5/9 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
king pins are the same as gm products pretty easy to come by. try that parts guy before kanter. the old # is TRW #K366B

Posted on: 2009/5/9 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Although the special T-L tool is nice, you do not really need one. You can do this (scroll down to pix of torque arm retained with chains):

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/adjLinks.html

Posted on: 2009/5/9 20:42
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
Thx for the info for the parts to look for, I will try locally first.

Since I don't have a press I'll have to take it to the shop to get done, but does anyone know what they've paid to have the bushing pressed in/out.

Can I get the original bushing out myself?

Would it be possible to machine a T/l tool if I'd want one someday?

Also I found that plate in my parts book, it was seperated and in the wrong place.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 9:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved