Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Accessory Spare Tire Valve Extension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I just bought a Packard accessory spare tire valve extension. Does anyone have a photo of where the hole should be drilled in the 41-47 Clipper body for the valve to extend through. It would also be helpful if someone with this accessory originally installed by a dealer could take some measurements also. The accessory book doesn't give a very clear picture.

Posted on: 2009/5/17 8:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Accessory Spare Tire Valve Extension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You don't ask easy questions. Apparently that was not an often installed accessory by the lack of responses received and lack of pictures in the books I glanced thru or the photo archive.

Would think it would be the same in 48--I did find one low res pict of a 22nd series showing it on the left and about in line with the bumper guard--in the general area of where it is in the 48 acc book. Maybe one of the detail experts will remember if 47's were the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.67 KB)
209_4a10c61d3dc73.jpg 400X416 px

Posted on: 2009/5/17 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I'm not sure if your valve extension kit came with a box but here are the instructions from the back of the box for accessory part # PA-383928:

1-Drill a 5/16" diameter hole in the rear body panel a few inches to the right of the left tail lamp and two or three inches below the bottom edge of the trunk lid.
2-Assemble the connection tightly to the valve on the spare tire and install the hose along the left side of the trunk compartment so it will be clear of luggage.
3-Insert valve core end through the hole in the body with the small nut and lock washer against the inside of the body panel.
4-Assemble the gasket and large retaining nut on the outside surface of the body and tighten securely.
5-Check the tire pressure and then apply valve cap.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 0:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Thanks guys, The accessory didn't come in a box. BdeB, I did find that installation instructions in the 51-54 manual and also saw the photo in the '48 Accessory booklet but I want to be sure that the install is correct for the 41-47 Clipper body. It seems that the installation instructions allows for some leeway in where exactly to locate the hole so I imagine that since this was a dealer/owner install and not a factory one that there is no one answer.
Howard I know most of the answers to the really easy questions . As for hard questions I am still looking for an answer to what Packard if any Precision Gear # CF444-IW clutch disc fits.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 7:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I am still looking for an answer to what Packard if any Precision Gear # CF444-IW clutch disc fits.

Dave, I've browsed the info I have and can't help on the clutch number, but if anyone knows it would be Fort Wayne Clutch. They advertise regularly in Hemmings, why not give them a call and if they're willing to take the time, I'm fairly sure you'll get an answer.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dave, Thanks, I will give them a call.I bought this one off Ebay and it was supposed to be correct. I have had two sources tell me that CF441-IW, not CF444-IW, fits my Super Clipper but to date I can't find out which application this clutch fits even using a Precision Gear catalogue. Someone suggested the clutch I have is a replacement # but the clutch disc is 10" in diameter and has 6 springs and my car has an 11" clutch disc with 9 springs. Thanks for the help. I am in the process of removing the trans so will soon know if it resembles what's in the car.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i have seen this item installed on a 47 that i found in a salvage once. it is the same as the later 48-50 as pictured.

Posted on: 2009/5/18 20:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved