Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 135

Ross, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

sending unit
Just popping in
Just popping in

logjam
See User information
I read the article for a sending unit for a 56 but I have a 48. Is there a unit that is compatible that wont cost an arm and leg. I got a new fuel tank notreally new but reconditoned from Kanter. It was really expennsive and took months to get. would like to get the old girl( car not woman) on the road this summer.

Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:59
 Top  Print   

Re: sending unit
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
what exactly is wrong with the old sender? they can be repaired, i have done all my own.

Posted on: 2009/6/3 19:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There has got to be something else that used a similar sender because Motors calls it out as Ford and King-Seely in their description.

Repairing one looks a bit more complicated than the typical rheostat used 1951 on because there is also a heater in the tank unit in series with the gauge unit. Even though both Packard gauges are bimetal with heaters, senders may not be compatible because of different ohm readings--1951 on ranges from 10-70.

I have a sender in a NOS box for the smaller tank, looks identical to the one pictured in the operational description, but the readings are hard to judge. Ohm reading of the sender heater appears around 13.5, however it is erratic -- from 13 to over 100 so either the contacts are opening and throwing off the reading, or the gauge even though supposedly NOS is faulty.

At any rate, if there is a Ford person who has access to older manuals that might show a sender unit, if one is found resembling the picture it might possibly work -- if Ford used a similar depth tank. The sender does not appear to be easily adjustable because Packard listed another unit for the larger 20 gal tanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.90 KB)
209_4a2733253822d.jpg 640X317 px

jpg  (25.94 KB)
209_4a27332e3db16.jpg 640X338 px

jpg  (70.63 KB)
209_4a27334818b48.jpg 633X875 px

Posted on: 2009/6/3 21:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

logjam
See User information
I thought the float was blue plastic but it was just oxidized brass. of which only thw bottom remained.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
The sender in my 56 pat sure doesn't look like those pic's. There is no heater in the pat sender unit, just a rheostat.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 21:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's the difficulty. Packard apparently used several different types over the years. Very little documentation appears to be available as to which type, which years. It appears they also used different types in same year but varying by model.

Only by taking one apart can you tell what it is. So far, of the ones I've looked at, it appears magnetic in early 40's, this double bimetal type late 40's and the later 1951-56 single bimetal. All that confusion makes it rather hard to find an easy or interchangeable replacement.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
One thing I can tell you guys is my 51 "300" uses the same float. the unit is not held down by screws just a sheet metal "wedge" ring.(I could use an extra if any one has it.)Any one know where I can get a new float?Mine keeps springing new leaks!This is for a 20 gal tank.I hope this helps. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/5 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See if there is one listed in the Packard Parts X-ref here on this website. If not one there then check the AACA.org web site under Packard and X-ref.

REPORT BACK please.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 22:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Eric has posted the Ford part number for the float on the x-ref here--just search float and also has some info for the sender.

Posted on: 2009/6/5 23:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you I got it. Brian

Posted on: 2009/6/6 0:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved