Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ultramatic to chrysler 727
Just popping in
Just popping in

byoung
See User information
i have a 53 clipper delux and im trying to find info on swapping out my ultramatic to a 727. can anyone help. thanks
bryan

Posted on: 2007/9/16 10:15
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic to chrysler 727
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several threads on the AAC Packard forum on the subject.

http://forums.aaca.org

Doing a search for "Chrysler" after you're in the Packard forum brings up one but there are others. Can't give the exact words to search to bring them up. Some have had luck, other not so thrilled due to various reasons.

Another alternative might be the GM transmission here:

http://www.mikestransmissions.com/Classics/UltraOD.html

and I believe there is a TH400 conversion also available from another vendor.

Posted on: 2007/9/16 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, there was quite a bit of discussion at the AACA site regarding the subject of converting to a TorqueFlite in a '55 Clipper, but innumerable posts may have been lost last winter, due to the reckless deletion (by site admins) of any post that replied (either directly or indirectly) to a former member there that asked his account to be closed and his own posts removed.

As such, you may not get the whole story now.

While the TorqueFlite has a well-deserved reputation, the installation of a converison kit in the Packard is not simple. In the case of the subject V8 Clipper, it was a disaster, IMHO. Despite some previous counseling otherwise, the owner was intent on doing away with the Twin Ultramatic and claimed to have been gifted with a TorqueFlite core, which he paid to have rebuilt and installed. He reported a number of issues with installation and burned the TorqueFlite up not long after he got the car back on the road. IIRC, he had almost as much tied up in that conversion as he would have paid for a professional, competent rebuild of the TwinUltra. He eventually sold the car, which turned up for sale (repaired) on eBay by a new owner in TX, IIRC, and didn't bring a lot of $$$ interest - in spite of all his effort at kustomization to "improve" the car.

In all fairness, the installation might not be as complicated or troublesome with a straight eight Packard, as some owners have reported success and satisfaction. However, I would much rather have a car with the unique Packard-designed and -built automatic in good working order, and service parts are available.

Regardless, I recommend finding out what's with wrong with your Ultramatic and what it will cost to repair it before diving into any conversion.

Posted on: 2007/9/19 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Brian: What you have stated about swapping the ultramatic for 727 are great words of advice. More money is spent finding a half cocked solution to problems, than if the item in need of repair was fixed in the first place.

In my opinion the ultramtic has gotten a bad wrap over the years, because of misconceptions and lack of understanding about the transmission. I have driven and owned a good many a Chevy over the years, with the two speed powerglides, these tranies take forever to shift. No worse or better than the ultramatic. Now talk about transmissions that are real dogs and had alot of problems, how about the so called GREAT BUICK DYNAFLOWS.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/9/19 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I further believe that many Ultramatics have suffered more from incompetent post-dealer service than anything else.

These days, Ultramatic Dynamics offers plenty of new-and-improved parts and sage advice for the Ultramatics.

John, I should also add that the Ultramatic service info (for all years and makes) that you so kindly donated to the site is an absolute must to review.

Posted on: 2007/9/19 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, It took 5 removal/replaces on my 56 Patrician (yes with the PB auto) to sort out that the main problem was around 0.010 wear on the input shaft where the rear pump pressure goes in. The Packard Ultramatic is a very good box when it is working properly. The unfortunate thing is that most automatic gearbox repairers have no knowledge of converters which "lock-up" or of rear pumps shutting down front pumps.
The problem with any of the modern transmissions and a Packard transmission that does not change over to the rear pump and engage the converter contemporaneously (at the same time) is that the converter overheats and cooks the gearbox. The modern gearboxes get over it with very low stall and lightweight cars. With a Packard Ultra or twin-Ultra you had excellent engine braking and it runs very cool, even towing very heavy trailers. I have had a Torqueflite V8 trans ready to install since 1978, but I cannot convince myself that it is an improvement.
I have tried to second guess Packard engineering on a few occasions without success so I guess that I am either truly brainwashed or a genuine Packard Nut. Peter Toet
P.S. Get the Ultramatic box repaired/ overhauled

Posted on: 2007/9/20 3:27
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
George Lupfer in Carlile, PA (Lupfer transmission, rte. 422 Carlisle, PA)does a fine job rebuilding Ultramatics. He trained on them (and Dynaflows,and powerglides,and Borg Warners.........) back in the day.
He owns a fine '56 400.

Posted on: 2007/9/20 8:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved