Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

19th-21st Series Clipper Dashboard Service
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I am looking at a Clipper in which the ammeter has been damaged due to faulty repair work.

The first page of the Packard manual illustrates windshield removal. Curious that removing the windshield should be the first thing they talk about.

The dashboard on the Clipper is so difficult that I suspect the only way to properly service the instruments is to remove the windshield, then pull the dashboard away from the firewall and service the gauges through the windshield opening.

Anybody have experience with this problem?

Comments are appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 12:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 19th-21st Series Clipper Dashboard Service
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Which section of manual are you referring to? I didn't see anything on instruments at a quick glance at 46-50 body section TOC. Think all Packard instruments are a PIA but if enough of a contortionist, think you can get to the screws that hold the instruments in as a unit.

Been a while but took the whole dash out without removing WS. Can't speak for prewar, but in 46-7 all the instruments are in a cluster or pod that attaches to dash with 2 screws. Of course, wiring will be in way. IF you can reach, contort, whatever, it may not be necessary to remove the entire cluster as ammeter and gas gauge are a unit that is held in with 4 screws to the cluster. Once the unit out, individual pieces can be worked on. I can post pictures of the various assys out of the car if it would help.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 12:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Depending upon what you want you can remove all the gauges as a unit or individually in pairs. It's not easy but I have removed all the gauges on my '47 without removing the dash as a unit or the windshield. The gauges are removed in pairs after 4 screws are removed from the corner of each pair (amp and gas, temp and oil) backing plate Attached is a photo I took of the temp gauge. Notice the screws in the lower right corner. They are the bottom screws to the two backing plates holding the gauges. I also have a spare set of gauges that I can take a photo of to better show you the layout if need be.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.40 KB)
13_4b3e375eb9c97.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/1/1 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey thanks for the input,

The manual I have been referencing is 20th series Clipper.

As I mentioned the gauges are damaged apparently from previous attempted work.

There is a service bulletin on dashboard service that claims they can be removed from inside.

I guess the front seat will have to come out. Given the windshield is the same through 1950 I was hoping maybe someone might say removing the windshield takes an hour, swinging the dash away from the cowl half and hour.

Removing the hood takes only a few minutes so why not the windshield as well.

I know one thing: That dash went in fully wired in about five minutes. Now if only they put some screws on the outside.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 20:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Tim, The gauges on the 20th series Clippers are pretty much identical to the 21st aren't they? I have removed the gauges without taking the seat out but since the front bottom cushion is easy to remove. The whole seat can be removed with 4 bolts so maybe that would help. It might also help if you let the brake and clutch pedals down by removing the springs and linkages but it is a lot of work in my opinion. I did this when I replaced the wiring harness in my '47 but I was replacing all the wiring and not just removing the gauges. I also removed the radio, the radio grille, switches and the metal panel holding the speedo and gauges but it really wasn't necessary as I found out later. In any event I would go this route before removing the windshield etc. If you can get under the dash you will be able to see all that needs to be removed to get the gauges out. Once the wires are out of the way you will see the slot screws holding the gauges. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Thanks Dave:

I spoke with the owner and I will try the underdash method.

I usually remove seats when doing underdash work especially on vehicles with nice interiors. It is more expensive, but there is nothing worse than damaging an interior. Someone I know took their new Cadillac for underdash flat rate dealer work and they tore some leather. The claim was not honored.

Given this unit has already been damaged via shortcuts it doesn't seem a good idea to keep making new problems.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 12:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved