Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Shipping C.K.D Packards to South Africa
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi

My car, a 1948 22nd Series Export Six Touring Sedan was shipped to S.Africa and assembled by the importers (agents ?)then was delivered to a Tobacco farmer in Rhodesia. Does anyone know who the importers were in those days and how long it took to get the crated car from the usa to S.Africa ? The only thing I can find in the Packard Dealers section is a company in Salisbury Rhodesia called Puzey and Payne Ltd.

Anyone any thoughts or ideas ?

Michael

Oh by the way attached is a photo of the A pillar front door hinge with me pointing out the small fixing holes for the metal cored rubber seal in this location - can anyone help with a pattern/photo whatever of the steel core as mine is completely missing, so I have no method of fixing my nice new SteeleRubber rubbers to stop the water getting in !!!

Second photo shows progress to date on restoration so I need to get this sorted.

Cheers Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (24.67 KB)
1329_4b8ece06d59bc.jpg 385X289 px

jpg  (95.22 KB)
1329_4b8ed002e6514.jpg 951X714 px

Posted on: 2010/3/3 16:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Shipping C.K.D Packards to South Africa
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't vouch for how correct the enclosed list would be for postwar, this is from 1939. The name in all caps following each of the the Distributors is the International Telex address.

As to the rubber, most folks I know have glued the repro piece on with rubber weatherstrip adhesive and just put the screw back in the hole. You could also fill the hole with dumdum or a pop rivet I suppose. It's a shame there isn't a better solution for this issue.

Congratulation, the paint looks great, is that Agate Blue?

Attach file:

jpg  (37.65 KB)
177_4b8ed3577aeca.jpg 439X1024 px

Posted on: 2010/3/3 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
meaarch - You may be interested in a photo in the Kimes book (Packard A History of the Motor Car and the Company, p. 521) showing a Clipper partially assembled and crated for export.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/3 19:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I have NOS weatherstrips with the steel core

Posted on: 2010/3/4 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi 56executive

I've sent you a p.m on the seals subject. Thanks meaarch

Posted on: 2010/3/4 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Sorry for being so late in replying. I recognise the Leon Motors distributor in Eloff street Johannesburg. I have a little plate on my dash with their name. Will get a picture of this for you. I will also talk to a guy who worked at this garage when they still existed.

As to the pieces of metal to keep the rubber attached - I still have mine, but will not be replacing as I see that it creates problems with water and rust. So I will just have the normal after market rubber around the door. I will look for the piece of metal and take measurements and photos for you. It will not be that hard to make yourself I think.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2010/3/5 3:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Barrie

Yup I'd be interested in a photo of your dash plaque.

Some folk seem to think the Steele Rubber rubbers made to fit over (?) the steel core are okay fixed into place without the core (?)

You seem to think omit it altogether - if can get the dims.and rough shape from you I think I would like to go the route of fitting it as designed - we get an awful lot of water over here in the UK !!

You can Email me direct or via the site or pm me - mea@bigfastweb.net

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/3/5 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Barrie

Some time back you were going to let me have a photo of your dash plaque with the Distributor name etc. Sorry to natter - any progress ?

Also any progress with shape/dims. of the metal core we talked about ?

Progress on Distributors and Importers - seems from search and help of South African Auto Clubs that concensus of opinion is that Car Distributors and Assemblers of East London had a lot to do with it in 1948 - any comments ?

Best regards Michael - mea@bigfastweb.net

Posted on: 2010/3/15 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Sorry for the delay. I had a heck of a bad work week. Will get that photos tonight!

East London might have been the port of entry for the CKD's. In South Africa East London and especially Port Elizabeth is called the motor cities. These days all the big manufacturers are based in Port Elizabeth cause of the better harbour for exports.

Barrie

Posted on: 2010/3/16 1:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Here is some photos I took yesterday. The metal strip are rather thin so easily bendable. I think it will be possible to fabricate your own. they are about 80cm long. I dont know why one is shorter.

Barrie

Attach file:

jpg  (146.96 KB)
484_4ba0711ca776c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (159.51 KB)
484_4ba071389da74.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/17 1:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved