Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Installing Intake Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Two questions about installing the intake manifold on a V-8 Clipper. Is there any cement required for the manifold gasket? I think the gasket goes on dry. The raised surface of the gasket goes towards the manifold, correct? It seems to me this is the side that should be towards the manifold. Your help is appreciated.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/15 20:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Installing Intake Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm assuming its an ALL METAL gasket???? Then yes the raised bead on the gasket goes toward the manifold. I don;t like cement. Use some grease. Many people use cement. It's a personal thing i guess. If u use grease then then under pinch hit conditions the gasket can often be reused. Cement will usualy tear up the gasket upon diassembly causing the owner to UNCONDITIONALY buy a new gasket.

Take your pick.

Posted on: 2011/3/15 20:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
PackardV8, Thank you for your reply. Yes the manifold gaskets are the thin stamped all steel type. I'll probably put them up dry unless I hear convincing words to do otherwise. I was under the impression that these stamped steel gaskets should not be re-used because the bead has been compressed and they will not seal properly a second time.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/16 9:59
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct, the embossed steel shim-style gaskets should not be reused. I put mine on dry - no problems yet after about 15,000 miles though I was very careful to get the mating surfaces extremely clean. I've also used the composite type mostly sold with the modern gasket sets - no problems with them either and I also installed them dry.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, thanks for your reply. I have cleaned the head and manifold surfaces with a single blade razor and they are very clean. I have heard about spraying these shim steel gaskets with an aluminum or metallic spray paint and install them before the paint dries. This is supposed to as a thin cushion or sealer. Any truth about this process?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/16 10:37
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wouldn't even consider using paint - too many different types of paint with many different purposes, pigments, solvents, binders, etc. If you want to use a sealer, use a sealer - like Permatex copperized gasket cement meant for cylinder heads. It comes in an aerosol so you can hang the gasket and spray to get a nice even coat w/o making a mess.

Posted on: 2011/3/16 10:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks again O_D, I have benefited from your advice, and many others here too. The sharing and exchange of information is what makes this site so valuable.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/3/16 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved