Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Don B, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 oil pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Has this service letter been uploaded?

Attach file:

jpg  (165.36 KB)
1052_4daed102ef66e.jpg 893X1280 px

jpg  (154.85 KB)
1052_4daed110baa7c.jpg 972X1280 px

jpg  (172.90 KB)
1052_4daed122156c1.jpg 972X1280 px

jpg  (82.34 KB)
1052_4daed1357fadd.jpg 972X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/4/20 7:27
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 oil pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Roscoe,

That is the first I have seen of it. If you can email me a HQ version of it, I will get converted into a PDF document, and then added to the archive.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Studebaker Serivce Letter No. 936 is roughly the equivalent of Packard's Service Technical Bulletin on same topic - STB 56T-20.

However, this Letter goes on to recommend installation of valve spring baffles, which was covered in SC Vol. 30, No. 1 for Packard dealers. It also recommends inspection for worn rocker levers. I believe such wear involved a hardness issue that had been addressed with dealers previously - in the P&A Letter to Dealers of Mar. 14, 1956.

Also, that this Letter advised Studebaker dealers to follow the same steps for the 56J, as Packard dealers for their own vehicles, erodes the position that the vacuum pump was the source of any oiling issues in Packard installations. The version of Packard's oil pump used with the 56J did not include a vacuum pump, but merely a flat bottom plate.

This Letter is good info for owners of the 56J Golden Hawk.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Letter is in PDF format and now on the website. Not sure where to stick it just yet as far as the Literature and Articles section goes, but here is the direct link.

Perhaps Brian can integrate it into his 1955-56 Service Index in some fashion that makes sense. Brian?

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/SB_SL_936.pdf

Posted on: 2011/4/20 15:46
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

With all due respect, I believe Letter No. 936 should not be included in the 1955-56 Service Index.

First, it's written specifically for a 1956 Studebaker and sent to Studebaker dealers - not for any 55th or 56th Series Packard or to Packard-Clipper dealers (unless they also happened to have the Studebaker franchise).

Second, although the oil pump is slightly different between Golden Hawk and Packard-Clipper versions of the V8, the recommended parts and procedures are basically redundant to what the Packard-Clipper Division published for its own dealers (as noted in my previous post), and that bulletin (56T-20) has been in the Engine section of the 1955-56 Index from the beginning.

However, know that I have since added an index entry to reference the S-P P&A letter on rocker levers. Yet, I'm thinking there must be another corporate document out there citing the hardness issue.

Therefore, I recommend that Letter No. 936 be filed under an arricle of its own - for example:

1956 Studebaker Service Letters

After all, we already have a separate article in Literature and Manuals for 1957-58 Studebaker-Packard Service Letters. Other articles can be created for additional years/titles, as needed.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 20:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds good to me.

Posted on: 2011/4/20 22:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm only bringing this topic back up to add something revealed in the course of another discussion - that SSL No. 936 appears to have transmission applications reversed WRT to the engine numbers as specified.

A check of the front matter in our archive copy of the 1957 Packard Clipper and 1955-57 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog indicates that engine numbers with an "S" prefix are set-up for Ultramatic and those a "K" prefix set-up for standard and overdrive transmissions. This is the same as what's shown in a Packard document on Utica Engine Number Prefixes.

Posted on: 2011/12/25 0:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved