Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 148

BigKev, Ozstatman, John M, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pesky Oil Leak Behind the 388
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
I suspect this is where my oil leak is at. Is the the "piston lubricator"? It looks like the only way to get to it is remove the floor boards. Any insight?

Attach file:

jpg  (33.23 KB)
2418_4dc9bfbc5b0d5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/5/10 17:43
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: Pesky Oil Leak Behind the 388
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Paul,

Yes, that is the piston lubricator. The nuts holding it to the crankcase are definitely in an awkward place. You might gain easier access by removing the exhaust pipe from the manifold.

I just noticed, the lubricator is not hooked up. Where does your oil pressure line go?

You can see more pictures of the piston lubricator internals here:

http://packardpaddock.com/page2/page23/page23.html

Tom

Posted on: 2011/5/11 14:21
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
It's not hooked up because this is my spare engine and at the moment doesn't have any use for oil pressure.

I just use it as a reference every now and then. I still think it may be easier to pull the floor boards out to get at it from the back side, but then I am open to all suggestions.
So I guess I should pull this one off, rebuild it and swap it out Is there a kit?

Posted on: 2011/5/11 23:07
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
As far as I know there is no kit. Copper crush washers are easy to find, and I made my own little cork/rubber gaskets. The machined surfaces on mine were fine. If there is significant pitting in the cylinder you may need to do some sleeving to prevent continuous oiling of the upper cylinder walls.

Tom

Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:27
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved