Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

TxGoat, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

12volt conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

Creig in Pasadena
See User information
I want to convert a customer's car to 12v neg ground. My main problem is the starter. Is there a Delco or AC/Delco cross reference for 12v field coils and armature? Creig

Posted on: 2012/1/6 1:22
 Top  Print   

Re: 12volt conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
You only need to change the starter solenoid. It is cross referenced on the Packard parts X-Ref. I did mine and the starter works fine.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As willis mentioned, it will work by just changing the solenoid. Many have done it. Downside to this approach is the increased torque tends to slam the Bendix into the ring gear. There have been reports of damage--although they have been few--so is something to be aware of. I believe the 12v 55-6 starter will bolt up but I haven't verified this.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 10:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
What is your reason for converting the car? If it's strictly because of slow cranking, I have an alternative for you that will save you some time and money. I can supply high torque windings for the existing 6 volt starter. I've rebuilt many starters for customers using new high torque windings and they are always very surprised and pleased with the results.

FYI, You can in fact run your existing starter on 12 volts including the solenoid. And, yes it is quite hard on the starter running it as is. They crank like mad and it takes it's toll on the starter and the drive/bendix. It's not like it will blow up right away, but it's life will be shortened for certain. I can always tell when I get a 6 volt starter in and it's been run on 12 volts.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I'd be happy to help.

Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2012/1/8 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I changed my 38 Richards bodied 120 ( 1954 -327 plus 60 thou, 288 head and Holley 600 plus R6 overdrive) to 12V negative ground and I have changed nothing in the starter department and it works perfectly. I of course changed to a 40 Amp internal regulator alternator to bypass the original regulator which is there for looks. The set-up allows me to run 100w headlights plus 100w spotties and works a treat. I had to change to 12V relays of course. I also fitted an instrument voltage regulator from a 55 Packard for the fuel gauge and 6V radio. I have all of my other cars on the original 6V but this car was intended for modern driving in an antique car. The car does 100mph nicely by the GPS and has brought back many memories of a really hot 52 Packard 200 with hopped-up 327 that I had in 1968. I know that the speedo was optimistic but how many cars have you had that took the speedo needle all of the way around to the zero pin on the speedometer. Best regards and good luck. P.S. Great to have the likes of Jason on the team, he is going into my index of cool re-builders....well done Jason Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (451.20 KB)
154_4f0aadb0af2ca.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2012/1/9 3:26
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved