Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

John Wogec, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I need your help for a buying guide.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Several folks in our club are looking for cars in the 1951-56 range. I have tried to put together what I remember from the buying experience and the aftershocks....

If you have time to read the pdf and add your experience, it should become something of value to anyone looking for one of these cars.....

New version attached incorporating suggestions!

Attach file:

pdf Size: 24.31 KB; Hits: 58

Posted on: 2012/4/24 13:33
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I need your help for a buying guide.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would suggest adding more on rust & places to look. There was a really good post some time ago about rust prone areas on V8 Packards -- also applicable to about all models in the years you are interested in.

Brian put together most of it and others contributed. I don't remember the subject heading to link to it other than someone was wanting info on a car located in NW -- Washington or Oregon area, I think. He was asking about what to look for & places known to rust.

Perhaps Brian can remember the post or maybe write another & post in the FAQ you could reference to.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 14:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

I've personally tabled work any new FAQs for awhile as there are some in the forums who repeatedly refer people offsite when the answers can be found here, at P'Info.

Yet, here's a list of rust-prone areas that I had previously cited, but with a few additional clarifications:

floor pan - front extension (toe board to kickpanel)
floor pan - body mount areas
floor pan - cross-body reinforcements (to inner rocker)
floor pan - remove rear seat bottom
floor pan, trunk - rear trough, esp. body mount area
front fenders - headlamp brows (and behind the bezels)
front fenders - ahead of wheel (under turn signal trim)
front fenders - under heavy die cast molding
front fenders - rear of wheel (just ahead of rocker panel)
front doors - lower, outer skin (separating at bottom)
rear doors - lower, outer skin (separating at bottom)
rear fenders - wheel openings (dog legs & fit of skirts)
rear fenders - outer wheelhouse (above top of wheel opening)
rear fenders - rear of wheel (under gravel shields)
rocker panels - inner & outer

Really, not much different than what you'll find with most vehicles of the period.

I only ask that any info used in the subject PDF that was derived from PackardInfo.com be credited as such.

Also, I suggest that John Lauter (aka - MrPushbutton) be noted, therein, as a source for repair of the 56th Series pushbutton transmission control.

BTW, the final point of the subject PDF is a bit confusing. Sticking in park is not exclusive to pushbutton control.

Posted on: 2012/4/24 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Sounds fine to me.

RE the final item: got that twice locally from 56 owners....one of whom has vivid memories of leaving his car overnight in a gang infested area. Although the car was untouched, he is still wary of the park position.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Buying Guide has been extensively updated and better organized. The guide you download above is current.

I know this is a chore, but please add your experience to this. Hopefully it will help anyone looking to get a car from this era....

Posted on: 2012/4/26 23:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved