Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic swap
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I currently own a 1951 300. The transmission will no go faster than 10 mph in High. I should be able to purchase an Ultramatic from a previously running 1953. Is the 1953 the same transmission as the 1951? Your help will be invaluable.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 20:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic swap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
53 transmission will fit and will have some of the later improvements. Depending on the rear end that was in the car it came out of vs yours, you may have to swap the speedometer gear and governor. Both can be done via a few bolts without tearing into the unit. Since you have a 51 300, there is also a slight chance the universal joint flange is a different size and may need to swap.

Once you do change it, read up and follow the throttle linkage and pressure adjustment procedure to the letter. Other than normal high mileage wear and use, a bad adjustment on throttle linkage can be a killer of the original Ultras. A dimension is available on site here since you won't have the tool to set the cross shaft angle.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 21:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved