Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 74

flopperwatcher, Kiwi Lad, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sad (crusher) story- WARNING!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
This morning, I met a gentleman who had a '59 Apache Suburban. As I commented on his vehicle, I told him about my 22nd series Packard. He said, "I know where there's a '51 for sale for $1,000.00 in north Florida!" He went on to describe the car, and it sounded like a real find: complete, good chrome and interior, etc. He was able to convey to me the approximate location, about 5 hours from where I live.

I returned home later, with my wife's excited approval (she was a '51 too, and was anticipating her very own Packard). I started to do some research.

The guy I met, John, had given me his number, so I pulled up Google maps and gave him a call. He was interested in a '64 T'Bird that was at the same location, and said there were a couple of Corvairs there too, plus lots of other cars. He was last there about a year ago, so I wanted to find out if the Packard was still available before making the trip.

This led me to calling the local Sheriff's office and obtaining the number of a local repair shop that, according to John, was next door to the property where the collectible autos were residing. John had said that the woman who owned the vehicles was financially troubled, as the chicken processing plant she worked for had shut down last year. My hopes were elevated.

That was until I got the number for Dave. He owned the repair shop next door, and gave me the sad news.

About two or three months ago, when the scrap metal prices had reached a new high, someone came along and hauled everything to the crusher.

We were a little too late to save another American automotive icon from the scrap heap.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:16
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: Sad (crusher) story- WARNING!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, it's sad, but you can't save them all. The upside is that it makes the survivors rarer.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 17:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Sad (crusher) story- WARNING!
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
The sad part is that after being crushed and sent to China, it will return back to the USA as a patio furniture set, or maybe a Wheel barrow.

Like Dave said, You can't save them all.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 18:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved