Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

BigKev, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Caribbean Emblem
Just popping in
Just popping in

Bob
See User information
Hello,
Can anyone provide information on the correct placement of the script emblems on a 1953 Caribbean? I have seen variations including Caribbean on the rear quarters, lower front fender and upper front fender. I have also seen Packard on the front fender and rear quarter as well, without the Caribbean script. Some cars have no emblems on the sides at all. It seems that they were different, even in vintage photos...
Thanks,
Bob

Posted on: 2012/6/9 11:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Caribbean Emblem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The 48-54 parts book shows NO script plates whatsoever - front (Gr. 30.7815) or rear (Gr. 30.7928) - for a 53 Caribbean (body 2678). Nothing shown for trunk lid (Gr. 31.1893) on 53 OR 54 model, either.

However, the 54 model (body 5478) does show a "Caribbean" script plate for the front fender and a "Packard" script for the rear. I believe those were same style as used on 55/56, but finished in chrome.

Not sure you can trust what's shown in brochures and ads; even some of the factory photos could have been pre-production. Of course, it's not imposible that an owner of a 53 later added either one or both of those plates from 54.

I'm no expert on these cars, but in the absence of factory documentation to the contrary, I suggest you err on the side of caution and DO NOT install ANY script plates on the fenders or quarters of your car. They can always be (carefully) added later, if proven to be authentic.

Posted on: 2012/6/9 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
correct, the 1953 did not use a caribbean script anywhere on the car

Posted on: 2012/6/9 23:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
BH & Caribbeabdude,

That is fine counsel you both provided. I never knew that the '53 carried NO script trim until reading this post. Glad you guys hang around and pay attention to things!

Posted on: 2012/6/10 11:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Was under the impression that some got a Packard script on the face of the continental cover(?).

Posted on: 2012/6/10 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I was focused on the petitioner's mention of fenders, quarters, and sides, but he did ask, generally, about "correct placement of the script emblems" on the car. I should have kept digging beyond the trunk lid.

Of course, you are correct, Ross.

The 48-54 parts book does indeed show a name plate for the rear (spare) tire carrier cover for 53 AND 54 Carib, though it is not covered in the Body section, but in the Wheels section (Gr. 19.176). It's the same P/N used on rear fenders of 53 Cavalier and Patrician, also on trunk lid of 54 Cavalier, Pacific, and Convertible - the classic Packard script.

Posted on: 2012/6/10 16:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
I have had this discussion before, as the '53 Caribbean I purchased in 1957 had the chrome scripts attached to the front fenders in the same location as the '54s. I always believed they were supposed to be there, but there were not a lot of Caribbeans around to compare with. Could you tell
me the serial number of the car you are inquiring about?
Mine was 2678-2540 Gulf Green Metallic

Posted on: 2012/6/10 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I have observed that several dealers probably installed these Caribbean scripts on the 53's to make them look more like the 54's, I have reviewed no evidence from even very late 1953's that Caribbean scripts were ever factory installed

Posted on: 2012/6/12 17:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jack Lindholme
See User information
That makes sense to me now. As I was told that the original owner purchased it in Lakeland, Florida In 1954 as a new carry-over model. I purchased the car in January of 1957, when it was traded in on a carry-over 1956 Cadillac ElDorado
convertible.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 22:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved