Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

An afternoon with an unusual man and his Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I spent Wednesday afternoon with this delightful man and his beautiful and relatively rare 1937 Packard 120 convertible that has both the rumble seat and a trunk. Yes, I did notice that it has been modified and is not entirely correct. The wheels are different as are a few other components. He had a variety of other cars of different brands so I got lots of pictures but, to me, this was the cream of the crop. Gene

Attach file:

jpg  (58.50 KB)
3021_4fed012220351.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (67.39 KB)
3021_4fed024db386a.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/6/28 20:13
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Re: An afternoon with an unusual man and his Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gene,

Those 1935-37 junior convertible coupes came with a rumble seat and a trunk. The trunk held the spare tire and tools, and that was about all.

What other modifications have been done to the car? Seems like a shame to modify such a rare and desirable body style.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/30 10:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
He has modified the car so that he can make long trips in it in comfort and with a great deal of reliability. He installed a 400+ HP engine with a suitable drive-train for it, AC, and very comfortable custom leather seats. Plus, I'm sure you noticed the wheels and tires.
It is not what I would have done but each person does what they want with their own car and money.
I do have the original steering shaft out of the car if someone is doing a restoration on one of these and needs it. Shipping something that long might be an issue with UPS but you can pick it up here in central IN. He asked that I pass it on to someone who was restoring a car to original.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/6/30 14:02
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I am curious as to whether or not he kept the original packard frame and front suspension (disk brakes not withstanding) or simply set the body/sheet metal on a completely different modern chassis???

Posted on: 2012/6/30 18:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I'm pretty sure the original frame was kept intact. Gene

Posted on: 2012/6/30 19:39
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved