Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PASSING OF AN ICON
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I sure that some of you know already about the passing on of Beverly Rae Kimes.

I had not realized that Beverly Kimes had died until I was reading the New York Times, in which her obituary was printed.

My grandson and I had the great pleasure of being able to talk to Beverly Kimes on two occasions. One of the proud moments in my life happened two years ago. At the time I got a post card in the mail from Beverly Kimes commending me on some research work that I had done on the English auto the Invicta. The letter I had written her on the Invicta was published in a CCCA publication.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/20 19:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: PASSING OF AN ICON
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
As I am not so much into cars of the Classic era, I only know of Beverly Rae Kimes through her work on the book, Packard: A History of the Motorcar and Company.

As best I recall, she picked up the reigns on that work in midstream, and there aren't many people who would dare take on a project of that scope and magnitude at such point.

Of course, Packard's history was so rich that no one could have accomplished such a work alone, but the end result of her efforts in combining the content from so many authors and other contributors to complete that project will forever stand as one of the great literary achievements in the hobby.

That this book returned to print in recent years speaks volumes.

Posted on: 2008/5/21 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with her a few years ago at a CCCA meet in San Jose, CA. She was most pleasant. I noticed that she was fumbling with her glasses, and she commented that her eyesight suffered after editing the Packard book. There was a tight deadline and she had to spend many hours reviewing galley proofs. I have a copy of the Packard book and have ordered her new one on classic automobiles.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 9:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Russell James
See User information
Hi Fellow Devotees

Some years ago I purchased a first edition (complete with certificate) of Beverly Kimes book on Packard when it was first available. It has been an excellent book to show visitors, who may not have any idea what a Packard is, of the vast proud history and range of models. It has also given me a far better understanding of the respect for Packard in the US and the loss of such a mighty icon.

The completed work by Beverly Kimes on Packard is of great importance to your culture and to anyone interested in automotive history or hobby.

We have all lost a gifted author and historian.

Posted on: 2008/5/22 12:52
Russ (the prodigal son)
56 400 (sold 2022)
39 1702 7 pass touring (long term project)
38 1602 7 pass limousine (needs work)

Learnt to drive on a 50 in 1969
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I think the most important book that Beverly Kimes help write and put together was The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805 to 1942. Which I purchased a couple of years ago for less that $50.00. Which I now understand is selling for around $400.00 a copy.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/25 20:09
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, I was sleeping at the switch last night when one of 2nd edition paperback the Kimes Standard Catalogue of American Cars 1805-1942 sold for $26!

Posted on: 2008/5/26 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Speaking of icons, does anyone know of any definitive sources for biographical information on Colonel Vincent? I have noted that information, other than references to automotive, marine, aeronautical, patent and other technical publications, there seems to be very little biographical information available in easily accessed public domains other than the occasional brief piece in the two Packard Club publications.

Posted on: 2008/5/26 10:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved