Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 25 »

Re: Engine Bay detailing on a '56 dual carb car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Engine is painted already, including the rear water outlet covers as suggested, fully assembled except for manifold and water pump, in order to cover the engine properly with paint, but I will install them and paint nuts and screws to appear they were painted in place.

Time for the black engine add-on items... and another question:

Somehow, I understand that the dual carb batwing air filter should be gloss black. Is this correct?

What about the rest of the components:
Oil filler cap
Oil filter
Fan
Generator
Starter
Radiator
...and surely I am missing another bit or two...

Should this be gloss or satin black?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/10 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My understanding is that all the items you mentioned including the batwing filter should be semi-gloss black. And you can include the heater box and horns in that list. I know, I see a lot of glossy batwings and other engine accessories, most of them powder coated, but I believe the gloss finish is incorrect. I base this in large part on examining a few unrestored engine bays, and on the PI engine room judging guide.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I would also refer to the service manual, and the a/c manual for picture evidence.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55-56ACInstall.pdf

Some of the black in those pictures look glossy.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Thanks! That is really very useful information. The guide shows a lot of details!

Posted on: 2012/5/11 4:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's been said so many time before I feel a bit foolish saying it again, but it's worth remembering that photos taken for advertisements, showroom brochures, shop manuals and the like taken well in advance of actual production and in some cases were taken of "display" engines or mock-ups. Thus they are not necessarily indicative of what actually came off the production line. I believe the PI engine room judging guide is the best single source of such information after original, unmolested vehicles.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Yes, Owen, thanks! I will consider that now that I am doing the engine compartment. Via this same post I have already gotten a very good amount of information, but the manuals and additional pics will also help to see a few details, screws, fasteners, etc.

I am not doing a showcar as the car is in survivor/driver condition and I intend to leave it as a driver and use it... but I always say it is almost the same effort to do things incorrectly, or correctly... so I better check on the details and not that I have my engine and transmission out, plus fenders off, use the ocassion to do it just as it should be done. Afterwards, when I paint the whole car (several years away) I am counting on not having to redo the engine area.

Victor

Posted on: 2012/5/11 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Owen,

I have thought about getting that manual.
http://www.packardsinternational.com/judging.php

What pictures did they use for the engine bay?

Victor,

The A/C manual shows a 55 Patrician, some where in the middle of production. Look at figure 14, you can see the data plate.

Since you are doing a 56 400, there may have been changes.

Reading some of the threads in the V8 section on this site, and in looking at cars through the years, we know Packard used what was available to them from their suppliers.

Now if anyone is going to the Kansas auctions, maybe they can take some pictures of the 56 400's for you.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen,

I have thought about getting that manual.....
Wwhat pictures did they use for the engine bay?

Victor, some is text supported by photos from factory manuals and the like (most of that for the much older cars) but much of it is text content only without supporting photos. Though I find a few nit-picky things I might disagree with from looking at unmolested survivors, I think to the great degree it's a fine guide to what's correct.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I would love to get that guide, but bad planning and timing on my part won't make it possible. I live in Mexico and getting anything here takes at least 3 weeks. With appropiate planning, it would have been a possibility, though I am not a member of Packards International. I used to be a member of the Packard Club, for many years.

When I started the thread I was doing some details only. Now I embarked on removing fenders, engine and transmission to check on transmission vibration... and decided to do the whole thing correctly. I believe that with the help I have been getting from all of you plus the pics I have, I can do it and end up with a very correct looking engine compartment.

Thank you all for your help! I will post pictures of the finished product soon.

Victor

Posted on: 2012/5/11 21:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

56P400 wrote:
I intend to leave it as a driver and use it...
Victor

Cool!

Posted on: 2012/5/12 10:44
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 25 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved