Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ignition points
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, the points shown in post #3 are incorrect. Scout around a bit, we just gave the correct current number for points for this Autolite distributor recently - or someone will come along with that number. Just by memory, for the Autolite IGT distributor the current # is CS721A, IGP probably the same.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am going to look into all of them. You time is much appreciated.
(about an hour later)
Checked the CS721A. They open the wrong way. I did use NAPA's coss reference from this part number and it came up with two. CS851 and CS720P. Both open the correct way for my distributor. Going to call my parts guy tomorrow.

Thank you

Posted on: 2012/10/1 20:07
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Why not just try the correct Packard number for the points. 354262. All the Packard vendors have them. They are not uncommon.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
To get the points from a Packard vendor would be a bit of a hassle becuse of them being in the US and me in Canada. The CS851 from NAPA mentioned above have checked out(picked them up this morning) and I now can get all my tune-up stuff locally. As far as the plug wires, got some from a industrial gas servicing company and installed what I got this morning. It has made a difference in the way the engine runs, but unfortunatley, I did not get enough to do everything. Need to do two more wires and I'm done. Going to look at carburetor next as it's also running rich.

Thanks to all who passed on numbers and suggestions. Very much appreciated the help offered to a newbie. I hope some day I can return the favor

Posted on: 2012/10/3 13:28

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

AJ
See User information
Have Echlin Points. How many do you want?

Posted on: 2012/10/3 18:31
If it burns fuel and makes noise. I want to see it.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks AJ but I got them at a local NAPA dealer. Picked them up this morning.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 19:37

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Well, went to put the points in and they're not correct. They open the right way, but have the connection for the wire and condenser on them. My distributor has the connection on the distributor plate. So back to square one. My parts guy is going to see if he can chase it by the distributor number. I would much rather try and get them here as to bringing them across the border. By the time I pay for shipping I might be able to buy two or mor sets here. Have to see what happens. May not have a choice but to import them. Never figured it would be this hard to find a set of points. But the chase is half the fun.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 17:02

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Finally got a set of points. They ended up being the ones listed for the 55's and 6's. AL 5677 XP. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 10:50

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved