Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 182

Don B, Ozstatman, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic trap door
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Gee, it looks to me like a little too much metal was cut out. Without a good template the task is not worth undertaking.

If the transmission needs oil on a regular basis then some leaks need to be repaired. I have never added transmission oil or power steering oil to my 17 year old modern car.

However, for years it has used a small amount of coolant (I don't know where it goes), the oil pressure sender has been leaking, and the oil baffle in the valve cover is causing it to suck oil. So I have a list of things to fix.

However, my long term fix has been walking to work.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I still think it was a bad idea to put routine maintenance items like that way up there, even in the days of monthly oil changes and full service. In much the same way that the oil dip stick is under the hood, it's really incomprehensible to me why they also wouldn't put the ATF dip near by as well. You'd think they'd want to encourage proper inspection and topping off.

Anyways, I think the point to the OP is to invest in a set of ramps (I like the ABS ones), it's important to change the fluid every so often (I do mine every 2-3 years), and check it regularly...even if it means ramps. Besides, it's an excuse to periodically look under the car and do an inspection..and it's a neat bonding experience as well.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:23
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Responding to Howard's request, here are all the dimensions in inches:

The galvanized cover or door is 6 1/4" high X 9" wide. The door is clearly oversized but it also covers a hole nominally 1" X 1 1/4", visible in the second photo. Note there is also a 3" X 3 1/2" riveted panel visible in the upper right of the first photo, probably concealing yet another hole. I think all these holes, including the dipstick access, were originally cut to access the bell housing mounting bolts (you can see the hex head in the smaller hole that the door covers.) I don't know why this was done, maybe they had no shop manual?

The dipstick access opening measures 5" high at the gas pedal side tapering irregularly to about 4" high X 6" wide. This opening is located 8 1/2" below the base of the stitched horizontal seam in the black inner firewall cover pad. This opening begins about 2 5/8" up from the toeboard floor level under the gas pedal.

If you are thinking of making an opening like this, I would suggest making it smaller than this one, just large enough to comfortably fit your hand into it. That should also be large enough for a funnel when refilling the transmission. As seen in the third photo, the dipstick cap is located under the lower left corner of this opening. I would try to center the opening over the cap a little better than this if possible. Of course if this one was centered over the cap it might require some complicated bends in the door where it would be covering part of the lower hump area and carpet modifications to get access to the door. I hope this is helpful.

To respond to Tim's comments, yes the opening is larger than it needs to be for the dipstick; keep in mind they seemed to be trying to get to the housing bolts first and may have enlarged it to get to the dipstick as an afterthought. Overall, I think the benefits of this modification outweigh its detriments.

The transmission was completely rebuilt by the prior owner. It leaks very little, not nearly enough to justify a reseal.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 0:47
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved