Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: plug wire location on distributor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
OK, again-- pull plug #1, put a finger over the hole, bump the starter around until you get a burst of air out of the spark plug hole, then fine-bump the starter until the timing mark is at TDC. Look at where the rotor is--that is where wire #1 needs to be. Do what you need to do to get wire #1's position to that point and turn the distributor a few degrees (minor amount) in OPPOSITE DIRECTION of the rotation, just until the points break in that direction. Then follow the timing order from the manfold as you plug in the rest of the wires. It should start with no problem, then you can dial it in the rest of the way with a timing light. DON'T go by pictures, they don't apply to your situation.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Henry,

Just gotta pop in here. You know so much about cars that at first I coudn't understand why you were having this much confusion (NOT that I'm an expert), but then I happened to think: This man has probably never before done serious ignition work on a car with a distributor! Times change.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 22:50
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you are correct, i have never done....well any of this really. my first trans rebuild...my first engine, my first car to restore.

i've only ever bolted on stuff and all on stuff with computers. coil overs are what i'm used to. the wire just sits there when you unplug it so no need to figure out where it goes...it only goes in one place. this is probably why i thought there was a location on the distributor to just start at without doing anything. i was wrong.

if this car comes together without blowing up...it'll be a miracle.

but i did figure out where number one was....check my blog.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 22:54
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved