Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 194

Paul E. Gallagher, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 56 Trunk Lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is good news. Almost makes you wish Packard had taken the power door locks one step further doesn't it. OK, who'll be the first to design a remote open that is totally hidden.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
OwenDy,

Glad you are back in business.
Like Big Kev, I had NOTHING of help to contribute to your solution,
BUT Kev,
where did you take the picture of the 20' hammer?

I may need that for a future repair project ahead.

DanLthe

Posted on: 2008/8/23 20:28
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
That is good news. Almost makes you wish Packard had taken the power door locks one step further doesn't it. OK, who'll be the first to design a remote open that is totally hidden.

I did that on my '56 Patrician when I first got it, as it didn't have a trunk lock. I used a door lock solenoid from a Dodge minivan, and put the button in the glove box. It worked perfectly every time until I found the trunk lock and replaced it.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. ok. but then what do u do if the glove box won't open????

Several years ago a former girl friend got pissed off at me and shoved dirty laundry into the glove box of my car, locked the glove box and broke a pencil lead off in the lock. But i could still get into the trunk!

Posted on: 2008/8/23 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I choose my women more wisely than that! LOL!

Posted on: 2008/8/24 0:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You're welcome.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 6:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. NOTE the caption printed on the Toxic Sock laundry hamper: " Protective Breathing Equipment Required".

That picture is probably from the 1980s'. But confusing. I do remember an epidemic here in the US during the 1980's that effected only women. It was called Toxic Sock Syndrome. I don't remeber all of the details but i don't think it had anything to do with breathing. Did have something to do with socks tho. I just can't remeber exactly.

It's hell to be an old man with a good memmory. Sometimes i wish Alzhiemers would just go ahead and set in on me. That way all of u young people can tell history any way u want to without any interference.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 7:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Now that you've had your fun and humor, let me bring us back to the original topic for a moment, has anyone made a replacement for the original die-cast lock adapter (the piece with the pin that lifts the latch actuating rod, part "B" in the Service Counselor letter on the trunk latch)? I really don't want to use another half-century old piece of die cast and was looking into making a replica in bronze or another tougher metal but it appears a bit too complicated for my skills. And having one cast in stainless doesn't seem a good idea as the 7% or so shrinkage could be a problem with the square hole and other dimensions. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2008/8/24 8:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I wouldn't be afraid of another 50+ year old part. I've seen the barrel get bent by the pin and to the best of my memory your pin is the first one I've known to break. There are a lot of 56s using that trunk lock and dropping the link on the early e-clip version was far more common than a broken pin.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 10:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
mbreeding@cnsp.com
http://www.mikesindianparts.com/

He has a superb reputation. Uses cast STEEL. NO, not cast iron but cast STEEL. Avoid the SS. SS is difficult to machine had has poor vibration endurance unless extreme heat conditions exist.

Michael does alot of "small items". I have no idea what it would cost. I've often thot the ignition sw bezel mite be a good one to repop in steel too. Even if left UNchromed.

Also be sure to check out the rod length issue. I'll try tro look at mine today. Possibly the shorter rod plays a role in the breakage???? The rod length documentation mite have been part of some Studebaker issued info ca. 1957-58. I'm still trying to find it.

Posted on: 2008/8/24 11:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved