Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

DavidPackard, DM37, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: The Door Handle Dilemma
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
The clip is intact on my handle, but it always feels loose and without anything to back it up, like a piece of duct tape, it just doesn't have any pressure on the post.

The previous owner put a handle on the door that was tapped for a screw, which would tighten against the post. This handle came off shortly after I bought the car and since I wasn't too fond of looking down at a screw in the handle, I got the unaltered handle that I am trying to use now.

Recently I replaced the screw in the old handle and tried it again. Since there is not indentation or hole in the post, the screw had no traction against the post and immediately came off. I suppose I could try to drill a base hole in the post, but if I didn't do it perfectly the first time, I wouldn't get another chance and could mess it up.

I guess I'll try the clip again, but I am still open to any ideas and do appreciate all of your responses. Thank you.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/15 18:38
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
my problem,

was people using the door handle to close the door, which widen the square.

having a screw hold it would be better.. countersink it . make some type of plug for screw head,

Posted on: 2013/5/15 21:03
Riki
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think what Packard was trying to address with the sponge rubber is that the grove is too wide and there is too much free play end between the handle and the shaft, so jamming a piece of foam rubber in the handle pocket would thereby take up extra end play and put some tension on the clip to keep it from jiggling lose.

Do the 55 have that tension spring between the door panel and the handle like the 54's do? That tension is what kept the retainer pin from falling out on that style of handle. Perhaps the lack of that tension is the issue.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 10:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Having nothing else to lose, I'll try some foam rubber in the space and see what happens. It can't break anything and won't cost anything either!

Since the post is smooth steel, as is the inside of the door handle, I don't think that flimsy clip is capable of applying enough friction to hold the handle in place. Add the vibrations when the car is in normal use and the handle slowly shakes loose.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.14 KB)
5003_51951629f2b22.jpg 866X432 px

Posted on: 2013/5/16 12:24
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That is similar to the '54 style arrangement, except it was a non-threaded dowel(pin) that was just held in by spring tension.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 12:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Ok, just an observation from the first picture posted, and I think that the copied specs mentioned a "groove". I assume that the knurled end of the clip fits into a groove cut into the post to stop it from allowing it to slide off of the post. Is the groove still present? If so, is it deep enough to allow the clip to bite into it? Take a hacksaw and deepen the groove.

It's probably a matter of the square orafice on the handle is not truly square anymore (due to usage and it being cast soft metal), and it's allowing the handle to rotate on the post/shaft and that clip is losing it't bite.

Remove the other door handle and see how that looks.

Good luck!

Mark

Added... Although, looking at the clip, what allows it to bite/grip the handle orafice??? Maybe putting the clip on another side of the post would work.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Good suggestion, Mark. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
mr bumble,

I like the drawing, #6 or 8 screw? Stainless? think my 56 is going to get that..

Posted on: 2013/5/16 16:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Riki:

I don't really know off hand ... it was just an idea. I wouldn't use too big a screw, though.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 7:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I have been having this problem for years on my 55 Pat door handles. The solution that I have come up with is to fold over a piece of cardboard and stuff it in the door handle to provide tension. It works for awhile and I have to do it all over again. Since in these hard economic times I am not driving the car it is not falling off, so for the time being I will leave it alone. BTW where does one get that unique tool???

ALK

Posted on: 2013/5/17 10:24
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved