Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 196

kevinpackard, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil breather - dumb question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The oil fill tube on my 1954 Cavalier - 327 engine was slightly loose.

I gave the bottom end several wraps of Teflon tape and bopped it back in and now it is nice and tight.

This was all part of my No-Oil leaks program.

The breather cap has an obvious key that fits an obvious groove in the tube and thus I assume it should always face a certain direction like frontward like I have it now.

It was facing slightly to the right side when I pulled it out.

Oh-great-experts please reply.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/11 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil breather - dumb question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, the slotted opening in the breather cap should face the front of the car. This is so the fan blast will help in crankcase ventilation. I would have used a good gasket cement to secure the oil fill tube. Something that will be quick setting and set hard. Permatex makes this type, but I forget which number it is, maybe Number 2. While you are working on these parts, now would be a good time to do a service on the breather cap.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/11 14:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Thanks;

I did face the opening forward and the Teflon tape made it quite tight but I plan something more permanent.

There appeared to be some oil seepage from this pipe where it presses into the block.

The breather cap is fairly clean and I flushed it with gas when I cleaned the air cleaner a while back.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/8/12 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim - Right, flush the breather with gasoline blow dry or let drip dry, and then re-oil the mesh.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/12 12:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved