Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Racing Oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Stephen, Rick:

Thanks for the advice. Trouble is, you can't look at the labels necessarily and tell what is inside. I appreciate your suggestions.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/8/21 16:31
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Craig

My dad used luberiplate,,in his 56 pat,, its . In it , now,, since, he bought it new' .

Luberiplate s web site tells you whats, in the oil,,,and what it's used in,

It might be $6 a qt now,, you can bug it by case, or drum,,

Posted on: 2013/8/21 17:53
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I thought racing oil was just plain old whatever marked up and with a fancy label. In fact, it may be lower quality base stocks (selected) because racing motors don't have warrantees.

I was at a demolition derby out west (including tractors and lawnmowers) and asked the winner what he was using for oil. Synthetic - no surprise.

Heavy oils help old oil pumps, but a lot of modern cars will be damaged because of light weight timing chains, cam timing position solenoids, oil pressure tensioners, and oil spray tubes to the pistons. Those issues are reduced in hot weather climates. My modern car loved being at the Pentagon with it's mild winters. Now I'm right next to Canada so it might just get 0W-20.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 18:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Mr.B,

Check out Kendall website and I think they have a tech number to call.

In regards to what Tim said above, I have been using the Kendall 5-30 synthetic blend on my 2.9 Canyon. A friend who is a Chev service mngr suggested I stay with recommended viscosity oil in case I ever had a engine warranty problem. Still have another 40k to go before engine out of warranty and at that point I will probably stay with the 5-30 blend. Might throw in a quart of Super D3 at every other oil change for extra detergent properties.

Looking at my original owner's manual I remember thinking the Super D3 would be perfect solution to Packard spec. I seem to also recall reading somewhere that the Super D3 was a good choice for older engines in regard to zinc content.

Posted on: 2013/8/21 22:58
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RichK
See User information
If you do a bit of web searching you'll find a couple of things about Rotella 15-40T.

A) There is an unsupported claim they changed the formula and substantially reduced the zinc.

B) More than one Virgin Oil Analyses showing the contents for the oil, which shows the above A as false.

Oil threads can end up kind of like holy wars, so I'll leave it the decision to you without passion. Truth is I use lots of different oils. I do use Mobil 1 in the motorcycles, as well as Redline, Motul, Motorex, and occasionally Rotella. I mostly stick to the synthetics in the 4 stroke bikes because the dirt bike is ridden hard, and the street bikes are air cooled. The diesel truck gets Delo or Rotella. I haven't used it in a long time but my experience back in the day with Kendall is it's a very good oil as well - I took a motor apart that had very little wear and was exceptionally clean, and I mean exceptional.

Rich

Posted on: 2013/8/22 8:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved