Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 137

Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: door striker
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The striker on your door is the earlier 1951-52 version which was all metal and as Ross noted is more subject to wear than the ones with the nylon insert.

The 1956 version has a steel plate insert that covers the striker teeth and allows the narrower wheel to slip in behind it.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 14:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also make sure you have the striker "shimmed" enough so that the maximum about of the wheel gear is engaged in the stricker. I had a door pop open on me other and looking at the wear pattern, only about 1/4" of the wheel teeth was interlocked on the striker (side to side).

Packard made different thicknesses of stricker shims to dial that in. Also I found that weather stripping can change door alignment. When I had all the weatherstripping out of the car, I needed the shims. With brand new weatherstripping in the car, I had to remove the shims. Also the latch is adjustable up-down, and in-out. The door should close and not rattle. Also it should not noticeable ride up over the latch when closed, if it does the latch is too high. If the door is hard to close, then the latch is too far in. If the door rattles, or doesn't line up with the b-pillar panel when closed, then the latch may be too far out. As I said, weatherstripping changes all of this when replaced.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 16:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
the good thing about my car's original paint staying, i can see all the outlines from where things were before.

the striker plate is in the same place it was before and the door closes with little effort. it does rock in and out, but mostly because of the worn striker and lack of weather stripping. new nylon infused strikers are on their way to me now.

the gear is about 1/2 used on the striker, this is using 1 shim that came with the car when i got it. i'm going to shim it out further to use more of the gear thickness. probably just use some fiberboard to shim it out more and place this behind the metal shim that is already there.

thanks for the info Kev, I always like info from people that have been there....done that.

Posted on: 2013/11/6 17:10
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved