Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Theives Target Packard Water Tower
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/11/25/thieves-target-massive-water-tower-packard-plant/

via Motorcitymuckracker.com

Brazen scrappers are trying to knock down the enormous water tower at the abandoned Packard Plant before a potential new owner takes over the sprawling ruins.

"We spotted the thieves grinding down rusted metal supports over the weekend as the massive tower creaked and shifted in the wind. A nearby resident tipped us off because he fears someone will be injured or killed if the tower collapses.

The small group of scrappers has been tearing apart the Packard Plant for years, showing little concern for the safety of passersby and motorists. In October, they were responsible for a partial building collapse that sent large concrete chunks onto Concord, causing the street to be indefinitely closed.

The scrappers have been remarkably casual and unimpeded by law enforcement.

The iconic tower was built in the mid-1920s and rises high above the concrete ruins of the Packard, which has been largely vacant since the 1950s. The tower was designed to hold 75,000 gallons.

The plant was designed by famed architect Albert Kahn.

We'll continue to monitor the scrappers."

Posted on: 2013/11/26 18:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Theives Target Packard Water Tower
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I was wondering when this would be the next thing to go.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 22:06
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Damn shame !! The Packard Factory is symbolic of the United States in many ways . . . ( a once thriving, growing place good for most all who were involved: and now ! ) Well, we should stop and think about where things are going . . . I just got carried away ( on my soap box ).
But if those scrappers manage to knock the tower down, let it land on them.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2013/11/26 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey, you haven't seen anything yet.

When I was in Washington DC I was shocked at the laze faire attitude about the taxpayer (and especially the couldn't care less attitude toward the number of children who are starving in this country). But now that the Federal Reserve has destroyed the monetary system just think of what is to come. The only thing keeping this country from imploding is the fact that Europe got itself into a worse situation via a pseudo central bank.

I just got an inquiry about work in China. They want to export 2 million vehicles. Ten years from now the USA is going to be a minor market and no longer able to run around the world behaving like a jackass.

Posted on: 2013/11/27 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Brazen scrappers are trying to knock down the enormous water tower at the abandoned Packard Plant

275,000 gallons!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be great repurposed as a garage (designed by Albert Kahn, no less....) for your Packards?

Posted on: 2013/11/27 18:12
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I thought it was 75,000 gallon! 275,000= 1155 ton!

What is written on the tank?

Posted on: 2013/11/27 21:02
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved