Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: A Pillar!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Avanti,
I agree on the stand out :) But thought the front end of this car sat quite a bit higher than those I have seen. Though I am definitely not a Packard expert in any sense of the word.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I think it has been discussed here on this site, and I have had discussions at some PAC meets about where the back skirt should cross the red hex or should it be above the hex.

Have had people say the fender skirt should 1/2 it, others say the skirt should be above the hex.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have had discussions at some PAC meets about where the back skirt should cross the red hex

Easy question to answer; get the car level by obtaining the same measurement from the door sills to the ground both as far front and as far rear as you can measure. Then wherever the skirt intersects the wheel shell cover or hub cap is correct for whatever ground clearance that particular car is set for.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Also, is the part same for hardtop as convertible?????

Due to other pressing matters, it's been a long time since I even looked at my Caribbean Hardtop, but don't recall such part. I suspect that the subject pillar trim is a convertible only item.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 15:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...thought the front end of this car sat quite a bit higher than those I have seen.

Yes. However, I don't think this is the result of the car simply being out of level, but (somehow) really jacked-up.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 15:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Have had people say the fender skirt should 1/2 it, others say the skirt should be above the hex.

Parts book illustrations of the vehicles in profile show the skirt covering half of the wheel cover center. Artwork in showroom brochures is a little more liberal and often varies. Perhaps there's some artistic license there, but suspect it's rooted in intent.

However, this aspect of the car is should not be considered an exact science since, even when new, overall riding height changed as load varies. I doubt if even the manufacturer intended it to be dialed in that precisely.

A big mistake some people make is using the side spear moldings as a reference to level the car, when those lines were actually intended to run downhill, fore-to-aft, on a level car.

As a result, I've only ever proffered the 1/2 rule as an eyeball check - in lieu of laying on the ground with a measuring stick.

Posted on: 2013/12/7 15:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved