Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 114

53 Cavalier, Maybrook, Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard desaxe engines....how many degrees?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen.
Just out of curiosity, did any of the Packard 8's u got into have pistons with no slots in skirt???? The only reason i ask is that i have seen non slotted pistons in engines that were supposed to be slotted.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 15:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have never seen an OEM piston in a Packard in-line 8 without an expansion slot; I have seen some aftermarket pistons without them, one as I recall was a Sealed Power replacement piston for a 356.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
As noted the straight eights do not have offset wristpins. However by my less than exact measurements, the cylinder bores are offset 1/16" relative to the crank. The chief purpose of this is to reduce side thrust on the piston during the power stroke. Simple, clever, effective. Packard.

Posted on: 2014/1/25 1:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Thank you Ross and other contributors for adding to my knowledge ( perception more likely) of what I believe was an "edge" which Packard used but did not promulgate (make widely known). It is interesting to note that all of the Post WW11 inline auto engines ( 245, 288, 327, 356, 359 ) had a crank journal diameter of 2.7465in. When you add the up to.003 main bearing clearance, it takes you up to 2.749. Which is very nearly 44 times one sixteenth of an inch. I would therefore estimate that the Desaxe is approximately 8 degrees. This common dimension for crankshafts would carry over to block machining for crank bearings and allow the Desaxe offset to be incorporated in all of the post war inline engines. I re-iterate that my readings on the theory for the Desaxe is that is makes an engine less likely to stall when idling slowly. I have always appreciated and been complimented on how Packard in-line engines idle so smoothly without any appreciable stumble. It is also interesting that many modern engine designers are apparently turning to desaxe design to enhance certain engine performance characteristics. Best Regards and if anyone has any objections or corrections to my observations, I would be quite pleased to be corrected. There are very knowledgable engineers out there, whereas I am merely an interested Packard nut. PT

Posted on: 2014/1/25 6:56
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved