Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic blade upgrade?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To my eye, what I see as the biggest difference on the 55-6 units is the outer row of blades. On the top photo used on most models they appear straight and on the bottom photo for the Caribbean they are at a slight angle. The inner row may also be slightly different but not by much

Posted on: 2014/6/20 23:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic blade upgrade?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The 2.7:1 torque multiplication is pretty much a practical limit. Units like the 727 TorqueFlite used 2.2:1 because they would have trouble reaching coupling phase with a higher ratio. Packard avoided that problem through the lock up clutch - thus the name "Ultra".

The other big factor is stall speed which is determined mostly by converter diameter. Stall speed is chosen to match optimum torque output for a given motor. Thus, racing motors have higher stall speeds.

The principal deficiency in the Packard converter is the second turbine. Early on the practice was to have multiple turbines - Dynaflow and Powerglide started with five. Later they discovered all those turbines did was generate excessive slip.

Posted on: 2014/6/21 7:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved