Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
331 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 330

Orange-Lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

More 38 Packard Woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
As many of you that have been good enough to help me with continuous challenges that I have endured with working on a 1938 6 the problems continue daily, I can't seem to get a break . As I was torquing the head for the final time the head bolt that holds the coil bracket in place will not torque. It is torque sequence 1. It appears that the stud threads are damaged therefore the nut will not tighten. I'm guessing that I will now have to remove the head. Now sure if the stud will remove with the head on. Any suggestions or has anyone else encountered this problem ?

Posted on: 2014/11/1 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: More 38 Packard Woes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure the nut isn't bottoming out on the last threads of the stud before it makes contact the coil bracket? I've seen that quite a few times and the normal cure if the threads are OK is to just add a washer, or use a die and cut a few more threads. Often applying the required torque with the nut bottomed out on the threads results in a broken stud - best practice if any studs have been changed is to always check to make sure there is sufficient thread length to allow the nut to make contact, with at least a couple of turns extra - just a simple visual check.

Assuming it isn't frozen or rusted into place you can generally remove the stud without removing the head and install a new or reworked one. Don't forget a little shellac or gasket goop on the threads that go into the head.

Posted on: 2014/11/1 22:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved