Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Numbers match, VINs and brusjing off the dust
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I was referring to the last few of the vin compared to the last few of the firewall stamping. Is this as expected or is there normally no correlation.

OK, got it and now I understand. There is absolutely no correlation between the theft-proof and a vehicle number except in those extremely unique cases where very unusual cars were campaigned, for example right-hand-drive cars and even in these cases they are more "clusters" of matching numbers rather than a true correlation.

In a nutshell, theft-proof numbers started in 1929, perhaps at 000010 (000061 is known) and ran thru 1956. As a body cowl was assembled, it (regardless as to what model or series it would ultimately become) just got the next numerical theft-proof number. At least that was the case until 1955/56 when pure chaos resulted. One of the highest ever known theft-proof numbers belongs to a very early 1955 car, not a late 1956 as you would expect.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks. That clears things up. Packard produced its 1 millionth car in 1947 from the info here so there must be a point when they dropped a digit or "reset to zero" correct? My firewall only has 6 digits. Was it 1million,200 thousand total production or 2,222,555 ?

Posted on: 2015/3/21 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
hmmm found this thread . Will have to pour through it.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2025&forum=4&post_id=72312#forumpost72312
Someone stated- It is a shame so many of the V8 owners are reluctant to share the vin and theft proof #s. I must say being a crime prone area and having been prayed upon by auto thieves in the past I was reluctant to post full vin #s on ebay and here on the registry but it seems the benefits outweigh the negatives. What would someone do with a vin number that is already owned, registered and documented by someone?

Posted on: 2015/3/21 19:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Theft proof numbers were always 6 characters, when they reached 999,999 at the end of the 23rd Series, they went to an alpha prefix, probably starting with A00001, ultimately ending with a D prefix in 1955/56.

Regarding your other comment, many submitters of VN and other numbers request confidentiality and submit by PM.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Were any v8 cars delivered with theft proof numbers beginning with a number and not the letter "D"? Perhaps, special order cars?

Posted on: 2015/3/21 21:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least 2 very early 55s are known with absolutely no theft proof number, and there is another small group, less than a half-dozen, that have theft-proof numbers in the 1936-37 range. I've always assumed this was just indicative of the total chaos that likely prevailed as Packard re-assumed body manufacture and at the same launched a nearly completely new car line.

All the 1956 models are "D" prefix, 1955 cars except as noted above are a mix of "C" and "D" prefix. Many folks read the prefix "D" as an "O"; the dies were apparently getting pretty worn by then and the stamped characters are not as crisp as in earlier years - but if you look carefully at the corners you'll see the left-side corners are more square, thus a "D".

Here's the last-known update to the style blueprint. The "D" was somewhat more square for 1955/56, perhaps there was an updated blueprint and revised dies but I've never found any record of it.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.07 KB)
177_550e3ece62261.jpg 1280X970 px

Posted on: 2015/3/21 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
You wrote- there are ... Less than half a dozen 55 s with theft proofs in the 1936-37 range.
Do you mean they are all 6 digits in the 200,... Range. I believe i have one of these or one which does not follow any of your reported known numbers. Mine is most assuredly one starting with a number , not a C or D or anything to be constrewed as a zero, letter , or a one. You may want to examine this car or put me in touch with someone - ie v8 roster keeper or other expert who can give an opinion. I will ask again. Is there anyone here who has a 1955. Packard with a theft proof starting with a number that can contact me pm or call? Are these other cars thought to be special order or in some other way an exception to the norm? I have pix of this car when I aquired it in orig paint and the firewall is still completely untouched. This car has never left my garage since I have owned it , not even overnight and has not been in a restoration shop or body shop, ever.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 7:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The theft-proof numbers of those early 55 cars have numbers in the 22XXXX range. In all other respects they appear to be just ordinary regular 1955 Packards, nothing otherwise unique about them, certainly no "special order" features. All of these, and also the handful with no numbers at all, are all 558X cars including one Caribbean. One of our regular correspondents on here had one of these until recently.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
OK, thanks. Yes mine is a 222,xxx and It is a highly optioned Clipper Custom. I had posted previously my opinion about the original carpet in the car was seemingly unique as I was unable to find it in the info here or from any of the vendors offering "correct original" repros as well as the engine color I had asked about in previous posts. I guess you may add 1 more 200,xxx number to your data base if you like. I have posted vin and TP on my owners registry.
I would still like to hear from the handful of 55 owners who have a car with a TP of 200,XXX as I am curious as to what models they are, what options they have, what color they are and where in the country they were delivered to. Very strange that there would be so few cars stamped with these TP and there be no connection, or reason behind this.
I am interested in what the engine paint color is if any are assumed to have original, or were photographed before restoration. Wonder if they are close in vin sequence if they are in no other way related.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 9:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very strange that there would be so few cars stamped with these TP and there be no connection, or reason behind this.

I've already given you my thoughts about why this occurred. The object of the theft-proof # was to have a unique number, not one that had already been used, even if 19 years earlier - so I continue to think it was an aberration. That yours is not a Packard but a Clipper is however new information as (note prior post) all the others thus far have been 558X models.

Please PM me with the theft-proof number, VN, paint and trim.

Posted on: 2015/3/22 9:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved