Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
268 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 267

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: The difference in Parkard print ads and those of Pierce Arrow
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Neither am I Garrett - just a couple of fingers (lol)

Posted on: 2015/10/20 14:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Randy's right. And literacy's on the decline. Some of us cringe when we read some of the posts here and hope the posters take a little more care in their repair/maintenance procedures.
Something to remember: Packard advertised not just in mainstream news and business magazines, but in Literary Digest and the New Yorker.

A shop and parts manuals are necessary for any old car ownership, as is a dictionary on your desk if you want to communicate.

Read not just East Grand's ad copy, by company communicae at any level.

"The car built by gentlemen for gentlemen," remember?

Posted on: 2015/10/20 15:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the "e" in that writing is totally incorrect cursive.

Those are not the letter "e" they are the greek letter epsilon.

So of course it looks like Dursenberg.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 18:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
""Until I read about it, I didn't realize that the early Pierce Arrow print ads (a) had little to no information about the featured car, and (b) had the car image subordinate to the individuals. Often the car would be in the background or even partially obscured. Interesting marketing strategy.'"

Trend-setting, too. And P-A's customers ate it up!

From the time of the Great Arrow in 1907 on through the 'teens there may have been 3 P's but Peerless and Packard were decidedly "lower case," at least in relative terms. Pierce-Arrow stood above everyone and not just with product. The factory was run by owners who treated every worker with dignity and respect. This is not to dis Packard, only to point out that there was daylight between the two in terms of culture and leadership style and values.

Pierce was always the stylish marque. Not necessarily because of its fender-mounted headlights, which arguably didn't look good until 1933 (I prefer the look of the free-standing lights before 1929). There was something about the Pierce automobile that screamed excellence. The 1909-12 runabouts and the Leon Rubay-designed 1921-28 large open models are exquisite. So too are the 1934-35 cars. It is a crying shame that the company never received its fair share of dazzling customs in the first half of the Thirties, nor a follow-on to the Studebaker-based, lower slung 1933 Model 836/1236 series. The company was but a whisker away from surviving the Depression though this can only be seen in retrospect.

Posted on: 2015/10/23 16:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved