Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 145

Don B, Ernie Vitucci, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cost of over-drive retro-fitting?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
How much does it cost to have a Packard 120 eight-cylinder retro-fitted with overdrive?

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/5/7 12:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Cost of over-drive retro-fitting?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IMO, Too many variables for a firm answer. What year would be the first question and would you want a more correct R9 or a probably easier to find R11..

If a year that a trans and OD would bolt up with minimal effort then it would start with the price you pay for a good unit and can you do the work yourself or would it be farmed out. Another question would be if you want the install as stock looking and working as possible or would you be willing to put up with some less than stock features. If less than stock then a bare bones R11 install where yo would have to control it manually would cost less than the full automatic operation with all proper electrical etc. If you went with R9 then some of the auxiliary pieces are becoming hard to find and expensive but you would almost have to have them.

If it is an older model 120 then it might be less expensive to add an aftermarket unit. If you didn't want that could you do any mods needed such as the changes for cane shift vs column shift to bolt a Packard piece and can you do that type work.

Posted on: 2016/5/7 13:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Cost of over-drive retro-fitting?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
When I put an R11 in my 38 120 my cost was the transmission (complete with governor.solenoid, lockout cable and relay)and having a drive shaft made. But I did do all of the work myself -modifying the X Frame converting to a cane shift and wiring.

Posted on: 2016/5/7 14:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved