Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pushbutton circuit breakers
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Another question regarding the 56 pushbutton circuit breakers. After operating the pushbuttons between the different sectors the circuit breaker gets too hot to touch. When I put a thermometer on it it was around 120 degrees. Is this normal?

Posted on: 2016/6/14 10:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Pushbutton circuit breakers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
circuit breakers are a thermal device, over rated current through calibrated resistance = circuit interruptus. So if it's getting real hot in use then either there is too much current going through it and it isn't opening (broken) or more likely the contacts inside are corroded and that is causing higher resistance.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 13:06
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Thanks, Home from Fargo. I bought an off the shelf 20 amp from NAPA and am going to try it. They had models all the way to 40 amps, and a lot less expensive than the round ones from our friendly Packard vendors.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Round circuit breakers as used only on 56 models with pushbutton were not used on any other vehicles we know of. As they are an item that rarely went bad in the first 5 years of a car's life few were kept in dealer's stock thus they have always been scarce. The demand for them is low and therefore reproducing is not feasible. We could sell a square one like shown to put on your '56 Packard. They would function just fine but they are not original.

Thanks
James
Kanter Auto Products

Corrected

Posted on: 2016/6/14 14:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Round circuit breakers as used only on 56 models with pushbutton were not used on any other vehicles we know of.

Round breakers were also on 55-56 power window cars -- 40 amps for the windows. Those are more problematic to change to modern because the round breaker is directly attached to the relay. You have to add a short wire between the new breaker and the relay terminal. When replacing the round breaker on some 56 sedans the modern breaker may also have to shift location a bit depending on which end the door lock relay is mounted.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
My statement that they are only used on 56's with pushbuttons is both right and wrong. They are used on 55-56 with power windows is also both right and wrong. The round Klixon brand 472113 40 AMP is used on 55-56 with power windows and power seat. The round Klixon brand 20 AMP is used only on 56's for the pushbutton motor power circuit. Using a 40 amp window/seat breaker for the 20 AMP application will give the correct appearance but could lead to possible fire

Posted on: 2016/6/14 17:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

carib1029
See User information
Thanks everyone. I think I might have found the problem. Not breakers but the relay box. I noted that one of the terminals that had the green resistor attached was loose and the resistor was no longer firmly attached to the terminal. It must have been making periodic contact because the shifter mechanism was working part time. I replaced the relay with a new one and I have my fingers crossed that, that was the issue.

Posted on: 2016/6/16 14:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved