Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Solving the Oil Pump Problem - Packard V8
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Or let me put it another way:

The PackardV8 oil pump is prone to PREMATURE wear as low as 25K miles. That's not just me speaking. Go look at the PI website for their write up about their fix.

Overfilling the crankcase may work in many cases. THE PROBLEM IS A WORN pump.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
SO, what did we do prior to the Olds pump conversio????

FEEBLE attempts to rebuild and redesign Packard pumps. I made 3hree different attempts. The last two worked but HERE"S THE PROBLEM:

Parts for these pumps is nearly impossible to find. Which means expensive machining costs. When i got done i still had Packards original piece of shit pump with bushings, oil grooves, LOWER bushings (double supported) among other mods. Ok it worked. BUT for how long????? 50 k miles instead of just 25K miles, MAYBE???

Bottom line is that a worn pump is a worn pump. It was a piece of shit design from the factory.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW, my 56 Exec had 35K ORIGINAL miles on it when it got it and the pump shaft and support was worn .002 inch beyond the service limit as specified in the manual. SOMETHING is causing the premature wear.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 23:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
well wasn't that fun.......good thing it wasn't on pay per view.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 1:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Computers can be frustrating! I just spent 30 minutes putting thoughts to keyboard regarding all of the above, and it vanished! Tomorrow I'll try again. Too late and too tired now.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
....SNORE........

Posted on: 2008/12/16 1:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay. Looks like I could stand to know more about this so I can keep an eye out for what may be an inevitable problem. I know what the oil pump is supposed to do. That's it. I wouldn't know how to access it. Is it in the sump? If so, do you have to remove the oil pan bottom to get to it? Anyone have pics of a worn one to demonstrate what to look for? I thought this think was just misdesigned and couldn't pick up oil efficiently at the level in the pan. The adding of a quart was, I thought, just to cover it, so it would pump oil and not air. I did not know about premature wear. Maybe, is that due to pumping air?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
my patrician has over 86,000 miles, and knock on wood, no problems. what is tthe part that wears abnormally?

Posted on: 2008/12/16 13:22
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
my patrician has over 86,000 miles, and knock on wood, no problems

Though I have no doubt the oil pump was a weak design and if symptoms are ignored can cause big-time problems, there seem to be as many examples of no problems as of horrific problems. My own 56 Carib has just over 90,000 miles, never a single lifter tick, great oil pressure, and just to feel comfortable I checked some random main and rod bearings and found them to be almost like-new. It does not appear that this engine has ever been worked on, but that's a detail I can't confirm with certainty. I do have an Aller-rebuilt pump on the shelf along with almost every component required for a full rebuild, though I'm hoping that day never comes.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"...there seem to be as many examples of no problems as of horrific problems..."

That's part of the mystery about the Packard V8 pump. At this point i'll stay with amd recommend the Olds conversion.

But i still like to analyze t he original pumps, mounting and related issues.

Posted on: 2008/12/16 14:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved