Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 248

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Windshield wipers not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Shat! Double shat! Water stopped squirting from the nipple that threads into my passenger side blade. I unscrewed it, found the clog, and I felt good. Putting it back on, I over-torqued and broke the smb***. I will now have to remove the threaded portion that still remains. It's a tiny little sucker to boot.

Maybe the reverse drill bit bolt extractors will work. Crap! Not only that, I have to now find another new one. Wonder if these are in auto parts stores.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 15:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll be able to get the nozzle from Ficken, at least I got one a few years back from him. If not, I've got some used ones.

It's not a common thread except for firearms use, 6-48 as I recall. It's only chrome plated brass so using an easy-out gently should work, I've removed several this way.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 15:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks for the offer, Owen. I just might have to take you up on it. Going to NAPA, first.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a Trico part so you almost certainly won't find it at NAPA. Go to Ficken, or also get a used one from Mike Dulinski. Last resort, I'll find one for you.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Once I fix the first one, fixing the 2nd one will be easy.... Yep, that's right. I thought I would unscrew the 2nd one to measure its threading. Even untightening, the damg thing broke.

I will check with Ficken. But can you tell me, for sure, what thread they are?

I also was not able to use a screw extractor to remove the old stubs. They were too soft and just would splinter away. They're still in there, but I think what I'll have to do is re-tap to original, so that it will just break up the rest of what remains.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 16:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
99% sure its a 6-48 thread. Don't know if I have a thread gauge that small but I'll try to check during the day tomorrow. Pretty hard on a stub that short to actually measure the threads per inch accurately.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
If 6-48, that would kind of suck. My taps are 6-32 and 8-32, etc. I suppose I will have to re-tap, but I dang sure want to re-tap the right size. If it is 6-48, I'll go buy a 6-48 tap. No real big deal there. I just don't want to tap for 6-48 and find it should have been 8-32.

Thanks, Owen.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Although any good machine tool supply place like MSC or McMaster will have 6-48, it's pretty much exclusively used by the gunsmith trade. If there's one near you, perhaps you can borrow one.

But wait, I'll try to measure the threads for you tonight or tomorrow.

EDIT: It's a b.t.h getting old, memory begins to fail. If your nozzle looks like this one from my 56, the thread is 6-40 NOT 6-48.

BTW, Randy's recommendation of PB Blaster is great, it's a terrific product and we should all have it handy, but in the case of a chromed piece threaded into pot metal, the corrosion is from the oxides of the alloy, primarly lead and tin and a bit of antimony, and though PB blaster is a wonderful product for ferrous alloys, it's doubtful it would be effective on these. Lead (tetra) oxide and Tin (stannous) oxide are soluble in acetic acid (vinegar). If anyone decides to try it, be careful to keep it off the paint and the chrome. You could cover the chrome with candle wax to protect it, and make a little dam of wax to let the acid soak into the housing. And of course wear impermeable gloves. All in all, I wouldn't recomment it, careful work with an extractor or drill and tap is probably much to be preferred.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.03 KB)
177_494d8280c3992.jpg 502X329 px

Posted on: 2008/12/20 18:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Let me suggest that since you will be trying to remove other old threads of varying size, you buy a can of PB Blaster. It can be found in any autoparts store and is the supreme thread loosening product available.

Posted on: 2008/12/20 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Yep. That's a pic of what I have. Wish it was here.
I have e-mailed Ficken. So, should I likely have to resort to a gun trade outfit to get a 6-40 tap?

Posted on: 2008/12/20 19:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved