Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

Kiwi Lad, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

generator model
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
Hi Folks
I have a 1953 Patrician, the generator has a model number of MCL 6122 4H, the service manual only lists MCL-6133 or MCL- 6114. any thoughts of why mine is not included in the manual or is not correct for a Packard.

thanks for any help

Charlie

Posted on: 2018/7/4 15:12
 Top  Print   

Re: generator model
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the specs in Service Counselor Vol26 #11 the proper generator for the 53 Patrician is a GGW-6003A. Having said that, it is possible the one you have is a service replacement bought from a parts store listing which may or may not have the exact same specs as the original. It could also be something a previous owner found in a salvage yard and installed.

The differences in various numbers could be the output specs and speed which the generator was turning to deliver the stated output or something as simple as a mounting flange or pulley with a different shape. The service manual was for the most part printed for the 51 models and as long as the disassembly and repair was the same the service manual wouldn't necessarily print and issue an addendum for a later item if it didn't substantially change.

Posted on: 2018/7/4 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
Howard
I am very sorry!!! you are correct, I was on the wrong page and gave out the STARTER model. my gen number is correct.
however the same question still applies to the starter not the generator. would it make a difference that my car has factory a/c and need more cranking power?

Posted on: 2018/7/4 16:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That same service counselor says the MCL-6122 is the correct starter for a 53 Patrician. Same applies with the manual pages if the disassembly and repair did not change appreciably with the later starter.

As far as I can ascertain, Packard made no substantial changes in AC cars except for the cooling. They had an additional row in the radiator core and a larger fan when factory AC was installed. One would have thought the generator would increase in capacity for the additional current of the blower motors as other mfgs did but that does not seem the case for Packard. I have not disassembled an AC car to know if they increased or changed the insulation placement or thickness but that would be interesting to know.

Posted on: 2018/7/4 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
thanks Howard guess I need a set of seavice counselors.

Charlie

Posted on: 2018/7/4 16:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can download them all from the site. Here is the spec issue for 53 cars.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL26NO11.pdf

Posted on: 2018/7/4 16:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard so kindly pointed you to the service information but be sure to also reference the 1948-1954 Parts Book PDFs. There is also a searchable parts database here too but that volume is still being proofed (by me) and does not contain internal details of these parts while my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below does.

As Howard also pointed out, it is not uncommon for parts like these to have been replaced over the years either by dealers or even by owners since there is a great deal of interchangeability.

As for the Service Counselors, I still have one or two bound copies for 1953 available on my Packard / IMPERIAL page which back in the '80s used to be sold through PAC, but when the Projects Director died, his successor did not know about them so we lost that resource but it did leave some here.

Posted on: 2018/7/5 15:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved