Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New 6V generator to alternator option
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the Powermaster/Powergen sites there is a FAQ re the indicator light. Some have the capability built in but not this one apparently so that still might be an issue. There are also a couple of items re the "turn on" point as the alternator is internally not active until a 1200 rpm threshold. There are a couple of workarounds however.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I guess I don't understand what the shortcoming of the original 6 volt generator is. It obviously supplied more than the needed current for the car and its accessory load when new and it's not like we can add a lot of 6 volt high-current accessories now that would require an alternator. Plus for those concerned about cost, a bearing, bushing and a set of brushes for about $20 will keep a generator going for 50,000 miles or more.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 13:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Owen I agree completely. I guess I am old fashioned but one the things which attract me to keeping old cars original is the simplicity and the fact that so many parts can be serviced easily and inexpensively. I had the generator on my Packard rebuilt with new bearings and new brushes for about $75US and it will probably last as long as I own the car. Ditto the new $30 Voltage regulator. Please someone explain the advantage of the 6 volt alternator? Even with the halogen headlights and virually every accessory except airco on my car the generator has no difficulty charging the battery and supplying the electrical needs of the car.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 14:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the generator or starter only needs bearings and brushes then a rebuild is the cheapest and easiest way. That's true.

BUT, what if the field coils or armature is shot???? What about cost of rewinding those????? Cost or avaialability of good replacements?????

I agree that one should not be quick to convert from 6v to 12v. As time passes on my stock of 6v replcement parts is getting real thin. I have 3hree GOOD 6v systems i've maintaned here over the years as well as many others. ONLY because i had a good stock of parts on hand.
That won't last forever.

The 6v alternator as listed above i would be leary of. If the cahrge rate does not kick in until 1200 rpm then it's not likely an alternator. OR defeates the purpose of being an alternator.

Find out if has PERMANENT magnets or ELECTRO magnets???

Posted on: 2009/1/28 15:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many of the older 6v systems were just fine for headlite BULBS. Add sealed beams as many people do and other accessories of modern demand then the design capacity of the original generator becomes border line real quick.

My biggest complaint with 6v systems is MODERN replacement 6v batteries. They are generaly Ag quality and do not deliver the life expectancy of MODERN 12v batteries due to poor quality construction DUE to lack of demand.

My experience with MODERN REPLACEMENT 6v batteries leads me to be skeptical of any modern 6v repops or retro fits in other parts.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 15:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sealed beam headlights started when, about 1940 or so? And they actually draw less current than some of the earlier bulbs, plus the fact that generator outputs were sized accordingly so I don't see that as a reason. And what power-robbing accessories can you add that are in 6 volt that weren't common in the era? Only ones that occur to me are Trippe lights, and the very rare 6 volt A/C for which the Packard 45-amp generator should be more than sufficient..

I agree that finding the right size 6-volt battery can be or will become a problem and I sure don't look forward to it. My 34 Eight takes the ultra large 7210 commercial truck/bus battery and I hope it's available for a long time. Fortunately it's hidden from sight under the seat so I do have alternatives.

But my battery experience is exactly the opposite of yours, my 12 volt batteries, regardless of make rarely make it to the 4th year whereas the 6 volt units routinely make 5 or 6, sometimes even more. Plus the real nice thing about 6 volt batteries is that they give you some warning when they are beginning to fail, 12 volt batteries just seem to be here today and gone tomorrow; start fine this time and kaput the next.

Except for the very early units like Westinghouse and some Owen-Dyneto, new armatures are still easy enough to find, they are constantly on EBay. And chances are you'll never need one or a field coil for that matter, unless you butcher something.

But perhaps for me the biggest reason for me to stick with the generator is authenticity and I know that many of you guys are more into "creating your own thing" than preserving history. No apologies, that's just the way I grew up in the hobby - it's about preservation of features, not re-engineering.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
One reason for considering switching to a 6V alternator is driving through parades. I've had problems in the past running at idle for an hour and a half. I don't think the generator charges very well at idle, or even at slow speed touring, but the alternator would keep up. I'm basically a purest too, but I'll look at performance upgrades when they make sense to me. I also installed turn signals, run on correct size radials and buckle-up!

Posted on: 2009/1/28 18:19
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've done hundreds of parades, some very long and at night, no problems with just a generator but with the 34 Eight on night parades with the lights on I nudge the hand throttle up to pick up the idle speed a bit.

But the alternator that was discussed here was said to have no output until 1200 rpm; that's well above a fast idle, it's nearly 30 mph. Generators begin to deliver well below that speed.

Still, I understand, today's hobbists are just different and sometimes may think these cars weren't as functional in their day as they truly were.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 18:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
as mentioned, workarounds.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.85 KB)
209_4980f546d1eda.jpg 629X164 px

Posted on: 2009/1/28 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have a lot more uses for $380 US than to buy this unit but each to his own. I have never had a problem in parades or driving at night with the generator that is in the car. As for batteries I have no problem buying the 6volt long one used in the 40's and 50's Packards. They are still being made for paving equipment and tractors and the one in my car is 6 years old and still starting the car. When the d ay comes that I can no longer get a 6 volt battery I will have to consider a switch to 12 volt but until then I will keep on driving with what Packard installed in the car. I doubt that it will ever be a problem.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 20:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved