Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 82

Christopher, CartRich, Plugs1, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1938 Super Eight for sale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
It does look like an nice car but is its interior correct?

Posted on: 2019/3/9 21:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
It doesn't look correct to me, or at least not the same kind of material that came from the factory.

Posted on: 2019/3/10 6:51
1947 Custom Supper Clipper 2106
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Has anyone seen the 1938 Super 8 club sedan for sale off of craiglist in Old Bridge NJ? It says the engine was recently rebuilt and it appears to be a nice original car. The asking price was just under 30K

Attach file:

jpg  (99.70 KB)
3005_5c8aa00c309b3.jpg 1200X674 px

Posted on: 2019/3/14 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...Nice looking car, but I don't know if the visor is correct. It just looks out of place to me. How about you folks who know much more than I do? Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/3/15 10:40
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The hood ornament is also an aftermarket Bugler Swan of the type sold by JC Whitney and others, and frequently used on diesel trucks like Peterbilt.

Posted on: 2019/3/15 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
As noted, the hood ornament and visor are aftermarket and later in date. Both fixable problems. The sides of the metal sidemount covers are either missing or removed. Is the front bumper painted or just dull? All fixable, I would think finding sidemount cover pieces would be the hardest

Posted on: 2019/3/15 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'm not involved in those cars anymore because my area is now on the engineering side. However, recently an attempt was made to rope me into an executive's old car and when they disregarded my recommendations as to the cooling system I ran away in horror. There are a lot of issues to be addressed that are causing those cars to run hot and crack blocks. The "80 year block" point is well taken especially because a decrease in thermal efficiency will result in misleading temperature gauge readings. That is, combustion temperatures will be higher because heat is not being transferred to the cooling system as well as when new. Low compression also results in higher temperatures due to a slower burn rate. Another area is that ethanol is equivalent to running leaner carburetor jetting, and thus, higher temperatures.

Today there are lots of engineering approaches that can be used to address some of these problems. Thermocoupling technologies and data loggers allow for analysis that didn't exist even 20 years ago. If you wanted to you could really get inside those motors and cut down the shade tree.

The bottom line is the radiator has to be in top shape, the water jacket has to be in top shape, compression has to be in top shape, and carburetors need richer jetting. All this means a high outlay just to get a car fit for operation. If I was doing this to my own car I would also engineer an EGR set up to cool down the combustion chamber.

I see a lot of cars that I know well coming for sale. Junk is being misrepresented by places like Sxxxxxx's and the sale jabber is a disgrace. People liked to knock Bob Turnquist, but at least he wasn't in the cars for the money. He really did love those cars. Both he and Kenny Fahnestock had 38 Su8s that ran well even after prior abuse.

Posted on: 2019/3/16 7:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved