Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Finding an Off the Shelf Gas Tank Fuel Sender for 47 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well had a little set back. Made another one of these for my 20 gallon tank and slowly added five gallons at a time and never got a good enough reading while filling it up. After putting 20 gallons in the gauge read under 3/4 full and also my needle kept bouncing around.
Tried grounding the sender wire at the tank, also couldn't get a full reading and needle kept jumping. This made me think that maybe the gauge is bad, but knowing this is a six volt system and I hadn't checked my battery. So I found the battery low (Forgot how low but under 6 volts.)
Put it on the charger and left it for the night to think about it.
Next day battery fully charged (Optima 6 volt red top battery) checked by grounding the gauge top post and meter showed full scale and no jumping. Next went back to the tank grounded the wire to the sender and checked gauge and it shows full, no jumping. Remove the Ground and needle goes back to a little over 3/4 and no jumping.
Remove wires and ohm out the sender and find it's reading about 15 ohms.
Next step after I drive it around and burn off some gas I'll pull it out and see what happen to my sender and why it's reading about 15 ohms.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/10/6 9:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if you will find anything off the shelf in a modern aftermarket type sender. As you might remember, I didn't have much luck in getting close to the old S-W resistance values so went in my own direction. You might contact K M Lifestyles and see what they can do because after I did my thing there was another poster with a 47 who needed a sender and they were able to help.

To get the story first hand and the final resolution, you might contact Rscott77x, the poster in this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=203365#forumpost203365 and find out what finally transpired. The first sender they sent was incorrect as to mounting but I believe that problem was resolved and he is currently using one of their senders. Don't recall any more posts to know for sure.

If you do get good information you might post some details. If they make them to order would consider buying one for my car to have on hand for when or if the car ever gets on the road and my home made unit also proves unsatisfactory.

Posted on: 2020/10/6 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Yes, there are two senders in their catalog for the 47. Tell them the number of holes in the mounting flange and you will get the right one.
The produced an EXACT replica of the original from the Atwater Kent catalog.. It had a lacquer coated float as per original. The lacquer dissolved very quickly in the ethanol fuel we have, so I had to pull the tank again. I did some research and found that gas tank sealer would work to coat the cork. I let them know my findings so if you order one, ask if they are using gas tank sealant now. I did not want to buy a gallon of gas tank sealer for such a small bit of use. Instead, I went to Summit Racing and bought a plastic fuel sender float. In installed it and no problems YTD!

Hours of Operation Monday - Friday 9 A.M. - 5 P.M.
14 Clarendon Rd. Auburn,MA 01501
Phone (508) 792 - 9500
kmlifestyle@hotmail.com

Posted on: 2020/10/6 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well for the time being, I'm working on this project.
So I rebent the arm and now it's reading full with a full tank.
Next step see what it looks like empty.
Wes

Posted on: 2020/10/8 20:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved