Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 wonderbar radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Bob & HH56

I seem to recall having read, somewhere, that GM execs were not happy about one of their competitors getting a product from Delco (a GM owned company) before it was available in their own top-of-the-line product (Cadillac). Do not remember the specifics.

The floor switch I remember well. Had a Caddy that came with it back in the days when I sometimes didn't read owner's literature thoroughly. Thought the car was haunted for about six months and couldn't figure out why it sometimes arbitrarily changed stations on its own.

Posted on: 2009/3/6 9:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Bob, what color interior is in your blue '51?

It's gray striped broad cloth.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 2:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Was there more than one version? I seem to recall one that had only the auto & knob tuning or did they all have buttons as well? I think I remember seeing something that only had a large bar

Ok, When did Packard first offer the Wonderbar radio?? In one of my posts here I said my mom's Cadillac was a 51. It was a 1950. Was thinking of the year of my Packard. So GM did have a wonderbar radio as far back as 1950. Did the 1950 Packard offer the Wonderbar option??

The radio I just bought off ebay only has the bar for signal seeking. No pushbuttons. You can manually change the station with the tuning knob on the right. The 51 acessory booklet shows the wonderbar radio with only the bar and no pushbuttons. I too would like to know if there is a radio with the bar and also pushbuttons. Seems there wouldn't be enough room for both.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 2:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I too would like to know if there is a radio with the bar and also pushbuttons.

Seems I answered my on question. Here is a link to a wonderbar radio on ebay with both the bar and the push buttons. Don't think it would fit the opening in the 51.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-PACKARD-WONDERBAR-RADIO-L-K-1954-EXC-COND_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80741QQihZ001QQitemZ110358444113QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Posted on: 2009/3/7 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe Packard ever offered a wonderbar before 51. The openings same for 51-4 so any year would fit--just be the styling that's different. Believe that one on ebay is correct for 53's and the 54 Clipper but 54 senior would have different knobs & possibly a different bar, as would 51-2.

Still begs the question were 2 types available in 51 or did Nance get the 3 way and that started in 52. I don't recall ever seeing a 3 way in a 51 but that's not to say a later one couldn't be put in and the knobs swapped from original to match. Believe they all had the same shaft diameter.

Posted on: 2009/3/7 13:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved